Coffee anyone ?

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Agree. With your temps...AC is perfect!

We are in our "hot" season and normally the beaches at Va Beach are packed. This year, no. The area there depends on the tourist traffic and the businesses are suffering badly.

Glad I'm out here just suffering from the heat as my biggest worry. I need to make some cheese -- the frig is wall to wall jugs of milk! Need to blanch & freeze these squash. I have a tomato almost ripe & an eggplant which will soon be ready -- first for the year! More coming. :D =D My list says to "check blackberries" for ripening (& picking?) Also, the elderberry. So many "needs". :lol:

You know we haven't heard from @Pastor Dave and @Alaskan and @luvmypets in a while.....hey, guys...let us know you are OK. Several others out there MIA....anyone talking with them? @OneFineAcre, @Wehner Homestead also come to mind.

I check in on y'all ever now in then. You never know when I'm lurking around.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Devonviolet -- hope all is good there. We miss your posts!
She and her husband stopped by today and visited for a couple of hours. They are doing fine. When her husband got out of the truck, he gave me a big hug and Sentry got upset. All that dog saw was some stranger grabbing me and he growled. After that he did NOT like DV's husband. Later, he came in and would go up to DV, but he sure kept a close eye on her husband. LOL LOL

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Coffee is on.
Teletherapy, farrier visit. Need to clean the freezer up and plug in. Tractor driving too. I am sure I am forgetting something.
Our mini rex had 2 kits, both nice size. She has lost her previous litters by laying on the kits so I pulled them overnight and gave them back this morning. The VL is absolutely miserable, has a nest built and I can easily feel kits. So hopefully today. I might give her some raspberry leaves. It's day 33. Praying nothing is wrong.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Forgot to add, Jocelyn took Lightning out to graze for a couple of hours, then caught him and lunged him. Well I worked him first but he did great for both. He sure wants to please. Am worried about his teeth. Hoping the dentist can come soon. I contacted her last week. She mentioned waiting until the heat wave abated....not sure when that may be so I might just call the vet out.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
She mentioned waiting until the heat wave abated....not sure when that may be

Good thing you aren't in TX -- could be MONTHS!! Sorry TX -- but, it's true & you all sure know it. :D =D

Thanks all for either posting or being accounted for. See, we miss you! With all that's going on just a tiny "hello" let's us know things are ok with you & yours. :love

It's a "balmy" 74 now. :celebrate Yep, cooler than past few days. But I have more mowing today. Only got about 2.5 acres yesterday. Looks good and I hope we get some rains this weekend. Did some disc areas before switching implements. Got a lot done. Filthy, grimy at end! Few days off so I need to push no matter the weather. It was quite nice in one of the fields that has several large shade trees.....no wonder the horses hang there. :D

Proud of myself -- I got the PTO hooked on the bushhog all by myself!! That is huge! It's been the only attachment I've needed help to use and I made up my mind to work this out. A block of wood and heavy hammer was involved! A "love tap" for that last 1/2 inch of slide on :lol::lol: I'm sure happy about it.

Need to run out for some tractor diesel -- while I'm still clean enough to be seen (& smelled) :cool::cool: :frow

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Devonviolet -- hope all is good there. We miss your posts!
Hi Mini :hugs

Thank You for asking. I do miss being here, on BYH, as often as I used to be. However, in the past several months, my life has been crazy. It all started back in mid March, when my dear sister died, unexpectedly, of lung cancer. I can’t go into all the details, but suffice it to say, that she refused to plan ahead and died without a will, leaving me to untangle the mess, that she left behind. I am still dealing with that.

After I sold April and Rosemary, right after they each kidded twins, I tried selling Danny Boy, who is an amazing, proven, registered buck. No one wanted to pay what he was worth, so we decided to keep him. So, that meant he needed a couple does, to give him a job to do, and keep him company. Dairy goats are out of the question, so we decided to go with meat goats. After some consideration I decided to go with Kiko does. Long story short, we ended up buying a pair of bred, 2 year old first fresheners. They ended up being a cross of Kiko and Nubian, with one being more meat and the other looking more like a Nubian. However, for a couple of reasons, they came as a set. The breeder didn‘t know exactly when they were bred, because they were in a field with three bucks and multiple does. Both are developing small udders, so for sure they are pregnant, but no way to know when they are due. Time will tell . .. .

On June 2nd. I injured my right hand, by banging the middle finger knuckle, where it joins the palm of my hand, into a cupboard. Again, long story short, the joint keeps dislocating, so I need surgery to repair the saggital band that goes around the joint, and keeps the finger in place. That surgery is scheduled for July 30th. I’m not looking forward to it, but it HAS to be done.

There is a lot more going on, but typing is a real pain with my hand being a mess. So I am going to stop here. Suffice it to say I have been very busy, and it doesn’t look like it is going to end anytime soon.

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good to hear from you @Devonviolet . sorry about all the "issues" but, at least we know you & DH are mostly well.

This morning the temps are great out there -- only 70!! Lowest in a couple weeks. But the fog is very dense. I'm sure it will burn off in a couple hours. Right now, visibility is only a few hundred feet.

Another day of heavy farm work and I'm loving it! :D =D If I could do this for another couple weeks, I'd probably get almost caught up. :lol: I'm seeing why retirement is good.

Still HOT, sunshine & dry -- gotta water garden! -- but it has dried up all the weed tops I've cut, and rain coming this weekend "they" say. Will sure need it on the grass in cut fields. My yard? Well, it looks like I'm watering it every day. Geesh....may get it mowed,..it's not at the top of my list. Heat & dried weeds are priority. Plus finish 2 projects to get crossed off the list!