Coffee anyone ?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Now, I am a big fan of pickles done up through canning. Bread and butter, sweet, and dills..... and don't each much of the spicy stuff. But then, I don't get very creative when I cook either. Especially not with wanting out of here and into the "new" house. Maybe I will get back into wanting to cook more.....especially with my gas stove again. I hate cooking on electric.... yet I was raised with it; but we had a gas (propane) stove at the "cabin" in Vt.; no electric there at all, had propane wall lamps and kerosene lamps to carry up to the bedrooms at night, and to use at the table too....and I loved cooking with the propane and got one as soon as I got out of the parents house.
My father will only eat canned peas and for years I wouldn't touch peas.... until I had them fresh from the garden, then frozen/cooked to where they weren't mush.
Yes, it is alot of what you are raised with... and some of what you maybe try somewhere and decide you like so then you start eating it that way.
I like my yellow squash with just a little butter, salt and pepper.... but I also like it mashed like you would mash potatoes.... had it that way as a kid and really liked it.
I eat pretty plain.... would like to have someone around who liked to cook, so that I would try other stuff.... I am too tired many nights to even want to cook. And standing at the stove isn't what my knees want either.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wound up with 20 quarts of chicken mixed with cubed beef liver and a half cup of cooked rice per quart. And since I had room for one more quart in the canner, one quart of broth. I have two half gallon jars of dog broth in the refrigerator that will be used first. The dogs love the stuff. BJ likes being the dog chef and mixing it with their kibble.

I had tomatoes all over the table so I squeezed one more pot on the stove to cook some down. I have a quart of tomato sauce in the refrigerator that I will experiment with to make bar-be-cue sauce with.

I went outside at 5AM to turn the water on the Purple Hull peas, so Sheba, Carson and Sentry came in for a snack. Now their eyes are glued to the toast BJ just made for us.

Coffee is good this morning! Y’all help yourselves.

@Bruce I love fresh pico de gallo too. I grow the tomatoes, jalapeños, onions, but I buy the cilantro and lime juice. I can eat it with a spoon. I also canned salsa this year. It’s great on chips, we can kill a pint of the stuff. I canned a case of it for our son and a case of plain sauce.

I’ve got so many tomatoes this year that I am making the products I use, sauce, salsa, pizza sauce, spaghetti sauce, today will be BBQ sauce.

I freeze the English peas and Purple Hull peas. Canning changes the taste. I also freeze cream corn.

@farmerjan next year you can have a garden. It takes time to build up the soilbut I bet your garden to be has better soil than mine. LOL

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I freeze the English peas and Purple Hull peas.

Right now, if I had to freeze peas, I'd have to pour them in and let them fall between all the packages. :lol: I prefer them frozen as they hold some shape/taste that disappears with canning. KYW snaps are good canners, IMO, as they are naturally a tough bean and hold well to canning. Some others, I only use fresh!

Right now, with conditions of use & weather, my garden is kaput! I am going to let some bucklings in there today to eat it down. Edges are heavy grass. In next week or two, it will be disc and till time, again.....in prep for new plants/seeds. Plan to get some more from Fall gardening to put up. Then, winter over and start REALLY early next year. :idunno ALWAYS "next year", right? :lol:

Have some coffee -- fresh pot over there -- strong & good.

Need to check to see if there's a goat auction next Sat....these guys need to leave me. Now...HAVE TO GO MILK. Brat is waiting. :frow

Last edited:

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Slept in a bit. I ended up with 8 pints of corn from the 2nds. Not a bad day, I got two walls of plaster down in the farm house too. I soooo can't wait to get over there....I told DH we are putting ours on the market in the spring.... not sure he believes me. But I can't handle this much longer, just keeping up with mowing yards is an hassle.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Slept in a bit. I ended up with 8 pints of corn from the 2nds. Not a bad day, I got two walls of plaster down in the farm house too. I soooo can't wait to get over there....I told DH we are putting ours on the market in the spring.... not sure he believes me. But I can't handle this much longer, just keeping up with mowing yards is an hassle.
You go girl! I told my husband we were moving and he didn't believe me. Even down to moving day, he was in a world of his own. It finally hit him when we were unpacking and for a little while, he was kinda down about it-we had been in Livingston for 30+ years. But we got busy and he was glad that we moved. Poor man, I just dragged him along. He married a tornado.

So go on with your plans, get a bedroom done, get the KITCHEN done and move in. If possible, get bedrooms done, it is easier when the house is empty, but stand firm and put your house up for sale come spring. I wouldn't have been able to stand it this long! Go for it.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
More figs here....dehydrated & cooked. Have nine half pints of jam/preserves cooling. 4 trays drying & 4 more waiting. That bush looks like it will keep doing this another couple months! :lol: Watch what you wish for.

Goats are working as hard as I did in the garden. I feel a little vindicated because they haven't gotten any better results than me! Of course, they do carry out what they cut....no wheelbarrow needed.

Now, to see if those chickens laid eggs for me. :D =D Everyone has a job!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
:ep
Do you make that the same way you make chicken or beef broth??

Yes. I use the same standards as if I was canning for human consumption. This batch has beef liver in it, I’d have to be REAL hungry to eat it. I have some chicken and rice that wouldn’t bother me one bit to pop it open and eat it. It’s canning, if I didn’t adhere to stringent cleanliness and correct process, it would spoil and be fit for nothing. The broth in the refrigerator is chicken and beef liver broth, not anything I’d be excited about, but the dogs love it over their kibble and lick their bowls clean.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Coffee is on. DH grabbed his grandfather's while cleaning out their home. It got a good cleaning and unclogged. Got laundry and dishes under control yesterday while kids and DH went to the grandparents place. Also took photos of the bunnies, loving my VL this year. So hard to decide.

Latest posts