Coffee anyone ?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom you are breaking ice already??? Come to think of it I did hear some real cold way NW of here. I'm shivering for you!

About a yr ago I got a notice of a class action case against a MTG co I had originated my mtg thru. Yeah, ok....have fun. Today I got a check for $182 and change for whatever they did....thanks! Can always use a nice little surprise. :D

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
bout a yr ago I got a notice of a class action case against a MTG co I had originated my mtg thru. Yeah, ok....have fun. Today I got a check for $182 and change for whatever they did....thanks! Can always use a nice little surprise. :D

Yay for surprise checks!

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom you are breaking ice already??? Come to think of it I did hear some real cold way NW of here. I'm shivering for you!

About a yr ago I got a notice of a class action case against a MTG co I had originated my mtg thru. Yeah, ok....have fun. Today I got a check for $182 and change for whatever they did....thanks! Can always use a nice little surprise. :D

It's a little bit early, but only by a few weeks. I usually have my heated waters set up earlier. Supposed to be dry tomorrow, possibly a little sun, so I'll be scampering around with tubs and cords, getting everyone set up. :)

Hey, I got $180 from a class action suit I didn't even know I was involved in! It was a gas station in Oregon that I had used on a trip down to my folks place. They charged for using a debit card and I guess they weren't supposed to. I got the amount in two checks spread over 2 years. Works for me. I put it toward hay.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Been up a while! Had breakfast, on 2nd cuppa.....pitch black out but, can see it's fog again from field lights across the road a ways. To bed at 9PM was not a good idea but, seemed so at the time. :D =D Spending too much time waiting for daylight. Have spent an hr on CL -- checked & sent emails, all that! Too early to call anyone. Just us out here online, looking for our day to begin.:idunno Plan to go get seed -- when I can call the guy and set a time. Make a feed run, before the coupon runs out. Hurry & wait. Not even heard a crow yet.

Need to get diesel for tractor, go by Habitat, stop at bank...list is growing. Guess I'll go start the dishwasher, maybe see if I need to do any laundry. BORED? ;)

@Baymule -- how's DH doing?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Likewise, BJ got up at 4, I woke up, looked at the clock and went back to sleep. LOL Fixin' to get my second cup of coffee, it's dark outside and 47degrees. Thinking hard about maybe slaughtering some CCX today. They are huge and I need to get them in the freezer before they die of heart attacks and I have to toss them to the local wildlife. Weather is not going to get any better, chance of rain later in the week. Thinking maybe 6 today and get a neighbor to help tomorrow and knock out some more. BJ absolutely cannot help. Risk of infection from the dirty birdies is too great. I change bedsheets every other day, help him with his shower, clean PJ's every day, very conscious of washing hands. Any germs or bacteria would go straight to his surgical site and result in infection. He gets frustrated because he can't pile into things yet, but knows not to be stupid and overdo anything. He is still using the walker, but can use the cane some and can use the cane more and more as days pass.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
After 3 cups of coffee I think a trip through the bathroom would be in order before you go out to work.

Today I got a check for $182 and change for whatever they did....thanks! Can always use a nice little surprise.
Nice you got some money. The part that bugs me is the lawyers get a HUGE amount of the settlement and those who were wronged each get a pittance.

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Right, Bruce...but, I don't even know what the suit was about, so I'm ok with this "gift". Hey, I paid $72 for 320# of rye seed today -- in my mind it was "FREE" because I didn't expect the check. I even have $$ left!

I did get 100# out onto the field. Tomorrow AM I will get another couple hundred out and be thrilled when it rains it into the ground tomorrow afternoon.. This is cereal winter rye, not the grass rye. Its a great cover crop, does well in cold and drought, grazes well at 14+% protein...recovers well...hey, I pay more for grain than this. Spring, when heat kills it off, I cut it for organic matter. I hope to get "some" graze from it. It brings good root to soil, phophorus and potassium from ground...grain, if it lasts that long. Wish I had had it out a month ago but only one I could find with this variety was 150 miles out in NC. Then, this guy 40 miles away grows it! Found him on CL. I will plant earlier next year! We'll be BFFs.

As I went to the fields I had previously burned, to spin this into it, I looked at the clovers, chicory, brassicas and vetch I had sown a couple weeks ago. Doing great! And the grasses there are growing, tho slowly. My hope is to help have a little green for the grazers this winter and much of these plantings will come back up very early Spring...before the grasses.

I'll expand next year if this goes as I hope.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Coffee is ready. I got 6 chickens on ice yesterday. Had to take gifts to a baby shower. We really wanted to go, but BJ isn’t ready for outings like that. When we got back, I did chores, fixed supper and collapsed. Neighbor Ron is coming over today to help me, gonna go for 10. Then tomorrow I can fine pick them, cut and vacuum seal them, probably 2 days work. Then I’ll be ready to do the rest, 10 more.

My Giant Pink Banana Squash regrouped and took off. I thought it was done, picked 6 and thought it was done. Nope. The vines from 3 plants have taken over a third of the garden and have 20+ squash on them. Looks like maybe 14 that might make it to frost. So far, I made a pumpkin pie and 2 loaves of pumpkin bread, from 1 squash. I can’t believe this squash!

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Giant pink banana and sweet meat squash were my favorite flavor-wise growing up in Iowa. You'd go to the local "pumpkin patch" and stroll through their tables and tables of varieties of squash they grew for sale and look for these giants and buy them at a fraction of grocery price. Pink banana and sweet meat were my favorite because they cook up super sweet and were super, super edible with butter and salt (almost too sweet). Up here they don't grow very well because they need both soil fertility and warm weather, but MAN, you are a lucky duck. If I remember right, they stored decently well too. They MAKE the pie and you can be making it for months the way they store and produce. They are big though, lol. Giant/jumbo in the pink banana actually means BIG.