Coffee anyone ?

Palomino

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I tried teaching one of my horses to answer questions. Cue word in caps
Are you CUTE? Shake Head
Are you HANDSOME? Nod head

Didn't happen, lol, because he was already learning the Spanish Step and if you know horses, you know they love that. So every time I raise my hand, and he knows I want "something", he starts prancing.
I'll have to try another way in the future, maybe from the side. With over 25 tricks already, he has quite a repertoire though.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
I tried teaching one of my horses to answer questions. Cue word in caps
Are you CUTE? Shake Head
Are you HANDSOME? Nod head

Didn't happen, lol, because he was already learning the Spanish Step and if you know horses, you know they love that. So every time I raise my hand, and he knows I want "something", he starts prancing.
I'll have to try another way in the future, maybe from the side. With over 25 tricks already, he has quite a repertoire though.
I have seen minis answer questions but not sure I want to encourage my big boy to toss his head. He's a bit of a bull in a China cabinet. :idunno that's awesome that you've taught your boy so many tricks. It's a fun bonding experience. I might have to ask you questionsif I run into problems,

Palomino

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have seen minis answer questions but not sure I want to encourage my big boy to toss his head. He's a bit of a bull in a China cabinet. :idunno that's awesome that you've taught your boy so many tricks. It's a fun bonding experience. I might have to ask you questionsif I run into problems,
Same here. I won't teach my mini to rear because I really do NOT want him to think that is acceptable. Teaching tricks is such great bonding time. He actually does about a half dozen more, but I don't count them because he still needs guidance and I want him to do them entirely on his own. And I'd love to talk trick training with you if you ever need any tips! Of course mine are minis so everything is groundwork.

I actually just got a picture of him offering me the Spanish Step today.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Coffee is on... It's a nice dark roast this morning, a sample I got with my can of Folgers.
Our plans to got get cages and rabbits got cancelled/or possibly just delayed. Gal has a heavy load so not sure at this time why but will wait.
Up at 4 am.... why bad dream then worrying about DD1 experience in 4H Horse and Pony.... probably because her pony Lightning was fussy when we put on his sheet last night.. touchy again about his belly being touched... so will restart on the ulcer supplements. I REALLY wish I could talk DH into putting him into training for a month..... probably would be impossible to find someone this time when everyone else is thinking the same. And I'm sure DH would fuss... he thinks I should be able to do it all. He was assisting last night as sheet holder and saw him being so fussy. Lightning has come a long way but we got him knowing he was/is a project. We got a good deal on him and I think he'll continue to come around.... my Mama heart just wants him perfect for her.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
What makes Lightening have ulcers? Not trying to be a know it all, because I surely dont, but if you treat him and the ulcer comes back, then maybe look for the cause? Your husband thinks you can do anything.......I'm sure with just cause. You are awesome and I never fail to be impressed with your many accomplishments.

Thanks for the coffee, woke up at 3-ish, finally we gave up and got up. I have a 6 pound pork roast in the crockpot, started it last night. I'm going to make pineapple pork today.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
What makes Lightening have ulcers? Not trying to be a know it all, because I surely dont, but if you treat him and the ulcer comes back, then maybe look for the cause? Your husband thinks you can do anything.......I'm sure with just cause. You are awesome and I never fail to be impressed with your many accomplishments.

Thanks for the coffee, woke up at 3-ish, finally we gave up and got up. I have a 6 pound pork roast in the crockpot, started it last night. I'm going to make pineapple pork today.
He was not well fed last year before we got him, that's why they sold him and another horse last summer. Animal Control was called at one time and was told they were pretty much starving at one time. This can cause ulcers. He's so cinchy, touchy about anything on his belly, kicks when we girth him up, ect. So in December I ordered a supplement to give him some relief, he was a lot better so stopped it after 2 months... but am restarting it because it does help. Scoping them by a vet is extremely expensive and OTC supplements help that's what most vets recommend.
I actually have a ton of anxiety with the horses... sucks as I do absolutely love it and the more I ride the better I am... I rarely go over a trot (I want to) and I know the horses feel it.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Up and drinking...coffee. :) rain last night and about gone, except overcast. 5 days of this and just not needed. Place is so, so messy, muddy, slick. :(. I'll do chores and go do a couple jobs. Keeps me from fretting over my "farm can't do" stuff. 😁

Ulcers...some horses are just prone. I guess they have anxious nature, or gastric issues chemically. Things you can't really see, unlike a cut. Sometimes some alfalfa pellets help buffer the gut. No doubt @promiseacres has tried it all. May have to keep him on meds.

Better get myself out there!!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've always had good luck fattening up a skinny horse. Pearl has been one darned hard challenge. She was so starved, her guts were all messed up. She pooped patties like a cow, wet farts and dribbles that ran down her legs. There was undigested feed and hay in her poop patties. I gave her probiotics, even live culture yogurt. I swear, I don't know how that poor horse was even living when we bought her. I've thrown everything at her but the kitchen sink. Unbelievable.

I finally concluded that I could not restore her to good health because she probably NEVER had good health. 2 years later and she is FINALLY filling out. I'm feeding her twice a day, a lot, scared at first that I would founder her, but she has not foundered. She gets 14% pellets and cracked corn. Plus all the hay she wants. Her ribs don't show anymore and I can't feel them either. Her poor bony back is finally getting some meat on it and her flanks are no longer wasp-waisted. They are still caved in, but nothing like they were. I didn't even ride her because she was so skinny that I was afraid that people would think that I didn't feed her. I finally said to heck with it and saddled up. She is looking the best she ever has, it's been a long road and we have further to go. I can't wait to see her filled out, slick and shiny.