Coffee anyone ?

Palomino

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
She gets 14% pellets and cracked corn. Plus all the hay she wants. Her ribs don't show anymore and I can't feel them either. Her poor bony back is finally getting some meat on it and her flanks are no longer wasp-waisted. They are still caved in, but nothing like they were. I didn't even ride her because she was so skinny that I was afraid that people would think that I didn't feed her. I finally said to heck with it and saddled up. She is looking the best she ever has, it's been a long road and we have further to go. I can't wait to see her filled out, slick and shiny.
You might look into offering soaked beet pulp to Pearl. It's very easy to find, not expensive, easy for the horse to digest and will put weight on her back and rump. You'd be amazed at the results. I depend on it to keep all of my horses in condition, especially because some are hard keepers and they all love it. I've also recommended it to friends who had rescued horses in really poor condition and it turned them around in a few weeks. One horse even went from hardly being strong enough to walk to running and playing.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree with @Palomino about the beet pulp. It worked well for Luke who was a very hard keeper. I fed him a senior mix for a few years and it helped but was super expensive. Then I switched to COB, beet pulp and BOSS and it was not only much more affordable, it really kept him in condition.
I also gave him free choice grass hay all day, and two feedings of alfalfa.
Syringa is so easy in comparison.

CLSranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Good morning all.
I've put vegie oil in/ on feed before to fatten up a horse. Never heard of the beet pulp. Good to know.
I've been meaning to take my bows in for a month now. I've got a long bow I'd like to know the actual poundage on so I can get the right arrows. I bought a compound last year with a bow fishing set up. Still has no sights, arrow rest, stabilizer or even the pep sight in the string. Was waiting to get home 1st and support a local guy I know.

CLSranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
On my old compound (before it was stolen) I loved my sights. Switched to archery because it was to easy to shoot a deer in my old back yard with a rifle even open sight 30-30. I am trying to do the "instinctive shooting with the long bow. I was GREAT at it as a kid. Well 25+ yrs later not so much. I wouldn't trust myself to go hunting but target practice is fun, and should probably be done more often.
In college when I took archery they just had a bit of Styrofoam taped to the bow with a pin stuck on the Styrofoam.

The head of the pin was the sight.
Makes since and works. A little fragile but effective.

Latest posts