Coffee anyone ?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
The p-nut hay from the leftover vines can be pretty dirty, IMO. Depending on soil and weather. Now there is a variety grown for tops that produces good forage, no nuts. It's predominately very southern...Georgia. Florida. I've tried to find some close, no luck. Nutritionally a good legume without the stem and leaf drop of alfalfa.

I'd go to SC if I could get it....5-8 hr drive there. But....

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good morning, coffee is on. A friend is coming to visit this morning, with her 3 kids. She and my daughter grew up together, they were 9 months apart. I was a stay at home mom, and I babysat her and her brother. We’ll visit then she is taking me to lunch.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good morning all! My usual coffee...while checking on forum and work schedule. Seems pretty calm everywhere...looks like a stay home day. 😁 👍

Extremely overcast, dull out there. Have a couple errands I might do, might not. Nothing real necessary, except some diesel for the tractor. That's a station close by. Will focus on trying to have seller make FedEx find my shipment that went MIA 11 days ago :he...or send another, or refund. OR......:oops: I'm not happy. I need this thing here.

Think I'll chill before I call anyone. 😏 calmly direct is nicer than ranting ugly! :lol::old

Thefarmofdreams

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have decided (today) that I need a horse. Have I ever owned a horse? No. Have I ever ridden a horse for more than 6 hours a day? No. Could I ride one currently? No. So tips are appreciated! :lol: :hide
I grew up with horses! What are your goals with the horse? Thoughts on use? Property/barn/pasture plans? Do you have specific questions?

I just got my oldest back from his dads (huzzah), am dealing with the frustration of them neglecting his educational and nutritional needs :he and watching him and the baby celebrate their reunion by playing very noisily with cars. 😁 Gotta start his school soon.... I think we're going to work on independence with school tasks in hopes he can just do school there without them interfering. :rolleyes:

Cecilia's-herd

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
What are your goals with the horse? Thoughts on use? Property/barn/pasture plans? Do you have specific questions?
Goal- ultimately barrel racing. That's a long road though, as I've never done it before. I would probably have to board the horse, we only have 5 acres, one of which is occupied by a cow and the rest is dense woods that lord knows what inhabits, the chickens are close to the house. My specific question is nutrition. I know very little about horse nutrition.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
😏Sadly, your experience, goals and boarding do not make for the best results...for you or the horse. Barrel racing is a skill set for you and your mount, along with a relationship together for optimum results. Physical conditioning is paramount for safety. A horse trained for these events is expensive and generally a spicy ride. You're not ready for that.....and I'm assuming you want to be in some level of competition.

were you watching a rodeo to get this idea? 😁🤔 yeah, most start with a nice trail rider and expand their riding from there. Daily care, knowledge of ground manners, handling and knowing their body language signals all need to be learned. These animals are more than taking on a puppy to housebreak.....

Horses are lovely, intelligent partners. I hope you can consider taking up some horse farm visits before any efforts to buy as it will help you greatly in your decision.

Thefarmofdreams

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Goal- ultimately barrel racing. That's a long road though, as I've never done it before. I would probably have to board the horse, we only have 5 acres, one of which is occupied by a cow and the rest is dense woods that lord knows what inhabits, the chickens are close to the house. My specific question is nutrition. I know very little about horse nutrition.
https://www.hoofrehab.com/Diet.html is an amazing nutrition resource! I plan on using it with my guy when I bring him home. There is also a facebook group, if you do FB, "forage based equine nutrition". However, with boarding, you may not have much say in what they eat. It depends on the barn.

I looooooooooove barrel racing. My qh and I lived to run barrels when we were younger. You'll want a horse that enjoys moving out at speed, but that is also super able to stop/be slowed up when needed. (contrary to popular opinion, a complete hot head isn't necessarily a good plan). And you actually want to spend a lot more time doing dressage-like exercises for training- circles, loops, speeding up, slowing down, giving to your leg, impeccable stopping, etc. I love a solid QH type for barrels, but i've seen some amazing barrel horses with all different builds. Sometimes small built wiry horses can spin like a top and weave like nobody's business (they are easy to push around with your weight/leg). Above all, make sure they have the basics before you run, and don't over work barrels (bc they get sour and turn into demons, lol). anyways. i'll get off my soapbox now. :lol:

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have decided (today) that I need a horse. Have I ever owned a horse? No. Have I ever ridden a horse for more than 6 hours a day? No. Could I ride one currently? No. So tips are appreciated! :lol: :hide
Lessons!!!! get some horse skills at a good barn before you jump in head first. Horses are lovely but it can be heartbreaking when you get in over your head. Even buying tack takes some experience. A trainer/instructor can help!