Coffee anyone ?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Coffee is ready! I had a Dr appointment yesterday. I went for blood work last week, got results yesterday. I'm healthy as a horse, no issues, except for one very worn out knee that needs replacing. I already knew that. Dr said it is bone on bone, couldn't pass a credit card between them. He asked if I took anything for it (pain) No. He asked if I wanted anything, No. I told him that sometimes I take turmeric for it, it reduces inflammation. The other knee is arthritic, but not as bad. I think he was a little amazed that I wasn't strung out on pain pills. LOL

I quit my job when I was 56 to take care of my Mom after her stroke. There went the insurance! I could have signed up for Obamacare for $900 a month plus a $10,000 deductible, what good was THAT going to do? So I just stayed healthy. I've had Medicare over a year, so decided to go get a check up. I'm fine. I'll get knee fixed after I sell the farm and get moved, settled in and all that stuff. I'll probably do like @farmerjan and go to rehab after surgery. That will suck. After all of BJ's surgeries, now he is not here to take care of me. Oh well, sometimes life just isn't fair.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Great! We need a book trained ag person to tell us if it's near real life out here. ;) 🤫

Coffee still hot...help yourself! Still dark out. Hate it! Leaving for work soon as I finish this cuppa. Weather just finished, so...ok to go. Tried to watch last night and it was almost 11....I remember news coming on, then it was suddenly 2 am 😴 -- head siding off pillow on couch and missed weather! Went to bed. You know how great sleep in front of TV is!!! But did go back to sleep before too long. :rolleyes:

We have a couple fronts heading here and needed to know when. Should arrive tonight around 2-4 am. Rain and wind. So I can stop at feed store I'll pass this morning for the type feed I need...no rain today means ok in truck bed until I get home.:)

Yesterday a friend brought me some near end of garden picks...a small cabbage, several pounds of cute little potatoes, onions, etc. Man, I grabbed a pot and put those together, added some bacon dripping and soon had a delicious meal. Chowed down! Nice bowl full for sidedish today. Sure miss my garden this year!

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am majoring in Agricultural Education.
What age/school level do you want to teach? And are there "specialities" within the major?

I think he was a little amazed that I wasn't strung out on pain pills. LOL
You are probably one of a very small group of people with a knee that bad that doesn't take at least OTC pain meds if not all out prescription.

I quit my job when I was 56 to take care of my Mom after her stroke. There went the insurance! I could have signed up for Obamacare for $900 a month plus a $10,000 deductible, what good was THAT going to do?
And thus the need for Universal Health Care!!! Insurance tied to one's job just doesn't make sense. Lots of people found that out last year when jobs were lost.

$900/month seems a bit steep for a retired person. Was it maybe based on your income from the prior year? I ASSUME all states have some sort of income based aid to afford insurance through the ACA.

Great! We need a book trained ag person to tell us if it's near real life out here.
:gig

At least she has an upbringing in Ag. Seems like lots of people go to college for whatever major then teach "it" without actually ever doing "it". Makes no sense to me. It's like making a bunch of things that need to be a specific length and using the most recent one made to measure the next. By the time you get to the last one it might vary significantly from the first one.

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
Great! We need a book trained ag person to tell us if it's near real life out here. ;) 🤫
Oh don't worry, I'll definitely tell you how far things are from real life. Like the parts how on the farm everything will go as planned :lol: Good animals will always be good animals, and never do thinks like break their leg:lol::lol:
What age/school level do you want to teach? And are there "specialities" within the major?

At least she has an upbringing in Ag. Seems like lots of people go to college for whatever major then teach "it" without actually ever doing "it". Makes no sense to me. It's like making a bunch of things that need to be a specific length and using the most recent one made to measure the next. By the time you get to the last one it might vary significantly from the first one.
I think I probably will try and teach High School for a little bit and then go into extension or something else.
Regarding specialties, I guess I don't know the specifics, but for my situation, I basically am in a pre-vet major with an emphasis in Ag Education.

Honestly part of what attracts me to Ag is learning so much hands on. Learning from my best chickens that really were a struggle, and my good lamb who made me more proud of entering the ring then anything else, is really what drew me to this.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Now, now, I might be old and grumpy but I did get ag papers way back when.

Ya know, I am so old I road a dinosaur to school. No snow though, since I went to Texas A&M.

I got a B.S. in Range Science and a Masters of Ag in Rangeland Ecology and Management. I got AI certified too, but I never did that for money.

She will have all of the Shiney new knowledge. Probably gets to have robot teachers or some such.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I completely agree.

However, at least in range, maybe 90+% of the kids were there because they were from ranch backgrounds and wanted a better idea of how to manage the land more effectively ... or some such.

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
Below a sketch of my neighbor’s longhorns. I’d like to do a painting with dramatic lights and darks since they are in the woods. Hanging out close to the house today because it’s really windy. Blowing the chickens around.

Attachments

• CFEAEFB4-21CE-438E-B2BE-E8CAEEEB94EC.jpeg
    CFEAEFB4-21CE-438E-B2BE-E8CAEEEB94EC.jpeg
    272.3 KB · Views: 60