Coffee anyone ?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes. VERY BAD DOG! Those hens have been roaming around for a year. For some reason known only to Trip, he derailed and killed them to eat them. He watched me pick up the hen, walk to the truck, looking hopeful. I told him BAD DOG! He dropped his head, tucked his tail and skulked off. I beat my leg with the newspaper and chased him, yelling at him.

Cecilia's-herd

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yes. VERY BAD DOG! Those hens have been roaming around for a year. For some reason known only to Trip, he derailed and killed them to eat them. He watched me pick up the hen, walk to the truck, looking hopeful. I told him BAD DOG! He dropped his head, tucked his tail and skulked off. I beat my leg with the newspaper and chased him, yelling at him.
Those poor girls. I hope you found a good spot to lay them to rest. (away from the bad dog lol)

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
Baymule as far as I can tell you make good decisions with your animals. Someone once told me “animals hurt each other, themselves and if we are not careful, us. They are emotional and unpredictable.”
Trip may be reacting to the changes. Sending best wishes to you and hopefully calm to the four legged. I have had a hell of a time this week with my sheep. New dog is presently an idiot. Hang in there.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think that maybe some of the problem with Trip is your being gone so much. I understand why and all... but the animals don't. He may have been acting out because of feeling neglected???? Not in the way it seems, but in an emotionally needy way.....
He had a hard time of it when BJ didn't come home. I couldn't explain it to him. But on the other hand, when he decimated my myscovies, he wasn't being emotionally needy. He snarled and lunged at me, over his kill. He also killed and ate my guineas. I had them for a year and one day, he just derailed. Excellent guard dog with grown sheep and lambs 2 months old and up. newborns act too much like rabbits and excites his prey drive. He jumps the fence and roams at night. Hunting? Have no idea. But when I'm gone, he stays here and guards. His is a complex personality, for sure!

Baymule as far as I can tell you make good decisions with your animals. Someone once told me “animals hurt each other, themselves and if we are not careful, us. They are emotional and unpredictable.”
Trip may be reacting to the changes. Sending best wishes to you and hopefully calm to the four legged. I have had a hell of a time this week with my sheep. New dog is presently an idiot. Hang in there.
Poor Trip is in for even more changes. Moving will not be kind to him. I'll try to lessen it for him, but it will be hard. Sorry that you are having a bad week with your sheep and new dog. You hang in there too!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Coffee and a touch of "left over" sinus issues from yesterday....slight headache. But it's gonna get gone, after a pill and caffeine. 😊

Cold here, still snow on grasses but roads are clear. Makes everything better. Might be some black ice out there, it's 21 now but, will clear as sun comes up. I have no where I need to go. Guess I'll check the news on TV while I finish waking up.

Then chores. Lotta hay and bust up ice on water tubs, again.

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was up at 6, turned on dishwasher and made coffee. Have 7 quarts of chicken leg quarters in the pressure canner now. Got 2 more 10 pound bags to go. Figured I’d best get them out of the freezer and in jars before I move. There is no vent a hood over the range top at the Groveton house. Son has plans for one, but is tapped out right now on spending money on the house. I paid the carpenter this last week and bought supplies. Only fair, I’m not being charged rent and son is paying water and electric bills. I think there is more chicken in the other freezer……

Crazy phone auto correct-it turned think into don’t honk. WTH

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good morning all. Starbucks house blend with cocoa and a bit of brown sugar. 32 so no water bunk issues. Six dogs and 22 chickens fed. Ewes and lambs all good. We’ve had 19 lambs in the last 6 weeks. I don’t like to lamb this time of year but that’s how it worked out. Some of the ewes are back in heat, still nursing. That’s never happened. So I had to start a bachelor flock as last year’s boys were rambunctious 😜.
Sorting everyone out by myself was a days long headache. Elaborate schemes involving feed, crook work and lots of walking were foiled by gates I forgot to close and rams that launched themselves over fences from round bales or crawled under the trailer (I guess). I had them separated 4 times only to find them together and smirking. At one point I questioned whether or not I’d had a minor stroke given all the t’s I’d forgotten to cross. Also lost my car at Walmart-welcome to old ladyhood Blue. Yesterday we sold 15 rams thank goodness. But only after a minor loading rodeo that left me with a bit of whiplash and an almost broken finger. (Crooked a ram mid air by a horn directly into the trailer boy was he confused). So peace has returned to the flock. This morning’s walkabout with flock and dogs reminded me that most days shepherding is easy. And thanks to Holly who helped me find MY silver Nissan. I swear someone moved it.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Morning all, did some much needed shoe shopping yesterday the two older kids and the youngest girl were at the park with my parents and sadly I got the wrong size for my oldest. They fit perfectly but no grow room so going to exchange them for the next size up. Put in a curbside order for groceries and ordered more clothes for baby boy as he so fat already he is just about maxed out some of his clothes. I had just bought them last month so that was no cool I went and ordered two sizes up from his current set. Went over budget with dh this morning before he left for work. Going to take it easy today for the most part just some mild cleaning, organizing, getting ready for the school week, also making a meal plan and possibly baking some goodies since its cold and that mean I can turn off heater and just heat the house using the oven. Yesterday was the first time in four years we only had two kids with us, it was strangely quite and so we had some what of a date lol. Original plan was just to have the baby but our 3 year old couldn't handle the separation and that's okay we made it work. Need to find some snack recipes my pickiest eater will eat and some other recipes he like. He even picker now that his back molars are coming in. funny bit is he is six so he should also start losing some teeth lol. If ya'll have any recipes that would work feel free to share, I'll be looking on pinterest a lot lol.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
turned on dishwasher and made coffee.
You make coffee in the dishwasher? I'd love to see a video of that ;)

There is no vent a hood over the range top at the Groveton house.
Definitely need one, and get one that vents outside. No sense blowing the steam and smells back in the house.

Also lost my car at Walmart
BTDT in a bigger mall, the kind you go in one store and come of the mall from a different store about a mile away. Advantage of our two newest cars - locater on the phone app :) I track DW on her way home to see when I should turn on the outside light. Of course, unless she is pretty late, it is still light enough when she gets here, not like mid December.

ordered more clothes for baby boy as he so fat already he is just about maxed out some of his clothes.
Given how many kids you have I would think you would have more than plenty of clothes for a younger kid!

Latest posts