Coffee anyone ?

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’ve had “no animal” moments too. So many decisions end up based on them. Walking past the house to check out the barn first, to the astonishment of the city realtor. Or scrutinizing the pasture vegetation. Or fencing. So little property is set up for small stock. I have a love/hate relationship with chickens. Like those eggs, hate that 2am crowing. And the inevitable rodents. I bought a victor electric rat trap after seeing something darn near possum sized shinny down a porch support. (“Of course you know this means war” Daffy Duck). But I’m going to plug along with the critters and the lifestyle. Lamb Report he’s doing only fair. Eye is still weepy but drying. Won’t nurse well. Vet visit tomorrow. And all my LGDs are presently snoring away on the porch or under the dining room table. According to Hubbs they walk through walls. I rotate them in for sack time and to accustom them to indoors in case of whatever.

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not me!!

Oddly I've never had a hen crow at 2 AM ;) Echo did, for a while, decide she should crow but it was always during the day.
I used to go to work around that time. I disturbed the birds and roos started crowing. I also have a light pole in my safe pen. On full moon nights the chickens would troop out to the pole and chase June bugs (or May beetles- now you know imma Yankee transplant). It was so odd to see them out there. If any stayed out too late they just ground roosted around or on the dogs. Finding a sleepy dog in the early am with a couple of hens on his back was not unusual. And I’m up now feeding Lambster who is finally taking a decent amount of formula.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Been up awhile, on FB catching up on groups that I like. My good knee that I fell on Thursday is still hurting, but is better. I'm sure that the activities in Galveston over the weekend have nothing to do with the pain I'm in now! I'm gonna try to not do much today.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@farmerjan i keep thinking of you... and how you would be able to relate..

Been awhile since I have had to listen to one of "those" conversations... (mostly one sided... because not as if that guy heard anything I was saying... and nothing I said was seen as valid)

It was "but if you followed Salatin's (sp?) advice where you ..blah, blah, blah... then you would be able to vastly increase the number of cattle per acre. All you need to do is to allow the natural mulching process of the leaves... blah, blah, blah... and your comment about the number of rocks and soil depth isn't valid because you can get dump truck loads of compost and mulch from most cities, and that could be used to increase the soil layer. And there is no reason at all why that area of the world should need so many acres per cow if you have such a high number of inches of rainfall..."

I was polite.

Sigh

Why is that years of experience, and years of schooling all mean zero... and his watching one permaculture video means he knows all.... way more than me.

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just rushed Sophie dog to vet with severe anaphylaxis. She went crazy in the car as her tongue swelled. Got her there just in time. Checked flock and other dogs. All ok. I’ve been better, a scratched up mess. No room in car for crate and I didn’t want her to gator roll on a tie down. She mashed every button on the dash and I get Sirius XM now 😜. Don’t know what got her but she went from ok to nearly dead in 15 minutes. Lambster missed his appointment but is nursing better. Gonna go sit in my chair and contemplate. Then clean the inside of my car.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
2X that.☝️

On way home I saw a new neighbor - 6 months ago- and stopped in her driveway to tell her how happy I was to see someone being SS...garden. laying hens. Meat chickens. Even bunnies so I find out! We had met very briefly when they had bought. During our talk, she says they had teamed with neighbor over across street...to butcher their chickens, with his. He has a plucker!! 🤣🤣👍. I said I'd love to join that group! 😁. She wants to checkout the goat milk. I'm happy to find some youngins to hang with! :lol::love. We might get some community sharing after all. Oh, she's just thinking of canning! I'm on it!! What a great day.