Coffee anyone ?

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
Gorgeous. And nice conformation. I’d buy him in a heartbeat but we’re horned sheep.
73B6F25B-4373-4BD6-8A7F-EEAA24E56D6A.jpeg

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
My husband would kill me but LOOK at this guy!!
Screenshot_20220719-081211_Facebook.jpg
Super flashy, and would love that coloring in a dairy show goat, but unless you are breeding for color instead of meat, take a closer look at his structure.

He does not look very long in his loin and his rear leg lacks meat. No meat into twist on leg. Leg needs to be thicker and show more rounding on rear leg. Also meat should carry down to stifle. Couldn't see him move so couldn't see whether he lengthens out as he walks. Also no view of butt end which is super important. What is the parasite resistance in that flock? His rump is very steep so if he throws that trait into his daughters, look for a lot of trouble lambing. Ewes need a long level rump for lambing ease.

I breed for meat. Length in loin, thickness of loin and heavy meat in rear leg - these are the money $$$$ cuts. When the flashy hide is off, the meat looks the same, just more or less meat in the money cuts. Don't be fooled by flashy coloring unless you have a market for colored sheep instead of meat buyers.

He is certainly eye catching. Go check him out at the sale since pix can be misleading. If you are breeding against people that want flashy colored Katahdins instead of meat production he will go high. Very flashy, probably why they posted a picture of him as the sale ad.

As a breeder/producer you need to remember that structure is the thing on which to base your flock, along with parasite control. Once you have achieved that then you can go for color, etc.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Blue Sky what breed are your sheep? Are they the Painted Mountain ? Maybe I missed you saying. My son has the White Texas Dall sheep. And color is not wanted in the rams he sells to the hunting preserves. But.... yours are very nice looking. And looks are the first attraction to get people in the door... Then as @Ridgetop says, you have to look beyond the FLASH.....

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Blue Sky what breed are your sheep? Are they the Painted Mountain ? Maybe I missed you saying. My son has the White Texas Dall sheep. And color is not wanted in the rams he sells to the hunting preserves. But.... yours are very nice looking. And looks are the first attraction to get people in the door... Then as @Ridgetop says, you have to look beyond the FLASH.....
I have Painted Desert Sheep. I was involved with a couple of clubs but ultimately my buyers didn’t care about or pay more for registration. I have regular buyers for horns and meat. The meat buyers tell me they enjoy the flavor and the convenience of preparing animals that are smaller and can be spitted whole in a backyard.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
The horns are very similar, I think the Dalls have a little bigger horn with more curl... they are very similar to Bighorns.... The size seems to be somewhat similar too... Yours are nice to look at and look to be in very good condition. Ours do not have very big hindquarters or much meat on the legs and such as @Ridgetop was talking about. We have tried to breed for parasite resistance along with better feet and better heads (horns).

Latest posts