Coffee anyone ?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Of course, hurricane Ian is THE issue as we see it coming and can't stop it. Almost a cat5 now! I have video of cat 5 Andrew....we were there the day before it hit. Entire town of Homestead looked like a bulldozer went through. These storms are NO joke! We spent 6 months there after, rebuilding apartment buildings we owned. Our house was 100 percent loss, as most others. No grocery stores for 40 miles. We were back here in VA and bought 4 tractor trailer loads of supplies...nothing left there to buy.😔😫. This is a serious situation. Plus large senior population there....animals....all real concerns. No power either. People stole generators as we worked, back then. Stations set up for meals for anyone....

We are expecting heavy rains here in VA at end of week for several days. It will be so minor compared to FL, GA, etc.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You are right @Mini Horses this is no joke. It will be devastating. At least since Andrew, building codes ramped up and every house built since then is built of cinder blocks, then the outside and inside is built. But this is a bad storm and there will be lots of damage. No supplies, no food and in many places, no water. I lived in hurricane country most of my life. When a hurricane was coming, I bought 2 new plastic garbage cans with lids, filled with water in a nook on the porch and duct taped the lids on. I filled all the big pots in the kitchen. Cooked outside on the BBQ pit or dug a hole, set oven rack over it and cooked over the fire. Weeks with no power, hot, sparrow sized mosquitoes, basic survival.

I texted @B&B Happy goats and she said they are on the west side, outer edges and will stay put. They are expecting flash floods and will hunker down in place.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Having coffee, watching it rain. Ian rain from outer bands. Yeah, I'm in VA and it's set to land in SC in a couple hours. BIG system!! Still strong after crossing FL and still full of water! 🙄. Right now, it's just a steady, heavy rain with light winds. Change will come. I'm sure my goats are happy to have that big hay feeder full in their barn.👍😔 Will need refill tonight.....rain staying another day or two. It's an inconvenience, not the devastation the southern area have.

western VA will get a soaker late today and into tomorrow. @farmerjan hope your cow calves soon.

Last edited:

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I always wonder about the colors. Is there any logic to the colors of the baling twine - other than whatever they have??? So far orange, blue, yellow, black, white and baby blue.
The hay I get has always had light green twine. Getting the supply for this winter some time today, will post if it is a different color ;)

I hope @Show Sebright and @BrahmerQueen are OK, I think they may be farther south than @B&B Happy goats so more in the path of Ian.

Getting a ductless heat pump for the first floor of the original house in about a month. They wanted pictures for the installers. Went outside to clear away some plantings for the picture and discovered a lot of peeling latex paint on the window sill, up the trim and on the siding nearby. Glad they asked for the pictures, I hopefully have time to clear it down to clean wood, for the wet wood (to dry and get it primed with oil paint then top coated before it gets too cold. Went just below freezing last night. I HATE EXTERIOR LATEX PAINT, works great to seal water UNDER it and in the wood. MUST have good oil primer to seal the wood before the latex sheet goes on.

I'll need to remove a quantity of plants for the outside heat pump unit. Maybe get a load of driveway stone, some for the parking area, some for where the garden tractor goes into the barn and where I park my car in the non snow months, some for where the heat pump will go and some for between the barns because lacking grass (chickens you know) it gets pretty slick when it is wet.

Lost a hen yesterday, Nina, a 15 month old BA. Found her dead on the floor of the coop when I went to rake it as I do every morning. At first I thought it was likely a 7 year old BA but nope. :( Down to 4 of the 6 chicks I got June last year. Don't these chickens understand that I expect the old non productive hens to die, not the young ones?

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Pea soup fog this morning. Sheep will have to wait until it clears to get out of the barn. I don't like to take them out even babysitting with a dog when it's this thick. Mostly because of the coyotes. But found out that someone about a mile and a half away lost a goat to a mountain lion - verified by fish and game. So - while I'm sitting inside I'll make pumpkin rolls (from a "can" ala Pilsbury) and drink coffee.
@Bruce sorry about the chicken - I've had that happen - I figure they spooked at night and flew into the coop wall probably breaking their neck. :(

Show Sebright

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Bruce thanks for the concern. We actually weren’t hit to bad. The eye was supposed to go right through us but fortunately it went a little more south. We lost some trees out here but nothing caused damage. Had my sheep and chicken in the garage. When I took my lamb for a walk Someone took a picture of me from this fat and posted it on FB. So I spent yesterday evening letting Dutch meet people. We did have some flooding. My friends went boggy boarding in the road. Some places were chest high! Thankfully the houses are raised pretty hight so only a few people got water in their homes. Here are some pics.

Attachments

• 291FAB76-1212-4644-B52E-38BF6E94FA86.jpeg
    291FAB76-1212-4644-B52E-38BF6E94FA86.jpeg
    618.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 49F31676-1BA6-4451-BC8A-6022FC7402C0.jpeg
    49F31676-1BA6-4451-BC8A-6022FC7402C0.jpeg
    191.5 KB · Views: 36
  • A3C32194-8023-4970-BA1B-379641F98F77.jpeg
    A3C32194-8023-4970-BA1B-379641F98F77.jpeg
    369.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 7D818B49-5B59-4749-9F2A-01E8ED978E59.jpeg
    7D818B49-5B59-4749-9F2A-01E8ED978E59.jpeg