Coffee anyone ?

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
We used to have Wildlife Waystation in the hills here. It was a sanctuary for predators that could not be returned to the wild. Animals that had been illegally bought as pets and then were either confiscated or given up because they couldn't keep big cats in 6' x 12' chicken wire cages. I used to take all my old rabbit does that no longer bred to them to feed the animals. I took them in live and they killed them before feeding. Some people used to take horses that were on their last legs there as well. At least they were used for something worthwhile. I should see if they are still there - I could give them my ewes that die naturally. I sell my cull sheep at auction, along with all ram lambs.

Honeybee Hill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Difficult sheep day yesterday. Ewe delivered a lamb then prolapsed rectum and intestines and died. An old ewe. Lamb very frail but took bottle then also died. As I was walking out the door to do lord only knows, another ewe drops a lamb and immediately hates it (first time mom). No amount of coaxing convinced her to accept it so in it comes. It spent the night alternately baaing and thumping around the horse bunk/lamb guest room like Herman Munster. Acts like it’s a month old and not newborn. So long Sleep…o_O
I'm so sorry to hear about your losses. :hugsHoping for better days (and sleep) for you!

Honeybee Hill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
2 in- and I seem to be wide awake this morning. DS3 has school today, then off for midterms the rest of the week. This is a good thing-he's a big help getting started on clearing the garden area for moving some hives around, and moving firewood to the deck to save some oil.
I start the graduate program a week from today, but they posted the classes and assignments early so I have printed out the syllabi and now I'm doubting my sanity in doing this at my age. 47 and 59 pages of syllabus craziness...:th Thank goodness I only take two classes at a time, but honestly I'm feeling defeated before I begin. Plus-every week, we need to post a discussion with the rest of the class. For my BA it wasn't too bad-just a typed post that others could respond to. For the MA-it's a VIDEO I have to record. Why am I not happy? Well, that means that I must be showered and dressed in actual clothes and not my sweat pants with a messy bun. :he
I know-the things I worry about. lol.
Next weekend I'm heading up to NH to have a "girls weekend" with my new cousins (wife of DHs cousin, DHs cousin, and the half sister of DHs cousin) does that make sense? They're all fantastic girls, and I'm looking forward to it! I'll be home Sunday afternoon with plenty of time to prepare for school.

Have a great Monday everyone!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Blue Sky how is Gabby this morning? I hope you both are doing well.
How old are your ewes when you retire them? I still have one of my original ewes, she is 9 years old, with 2 week old twins. She has a forever home, just wondering at what age she quits.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Slept well last night and enjoying a nice cuppa this morning. Had two births yesterday. One early morning and one about 10pm last night. Four new bucklings to add to the list. Up to 11 babies so far. Eight bucklings and 3 doeling. I'm absolutely ok with that as I'm looking for a keeper buckling, or two so I've got a nice pool to choose from so far. And, ummm.... only about 8 ir 9 does left to kid. :hide:lol:. Crazy is so much fun, lol!

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Blue Sky how is Gabby this morning? I hope you both are doing well.
How old are your ewes when you retire them? I still have one of my original ewes, she is 9 years old, with 2 week old twins. She has a forever home, just wondering at what age she quits.
Gabby is less noisy and less hungry but still had a good nurse. She’s getting out of her “where’s mom” stage. My ewes live to about eleven. I’ve had four who quit cycling, all related. They stopped around nine-ish. I think this is the exception and not the rule. We go through periods of no mature rams in the flock, they’re sold or eaten, I think that may influence them. I’m trying to convince Hubbs to get a black belly ram. I believe we are accidentally getting back into our own bloodlines with the spotted. Not many people have them. Plus I like the mix. I have a ram I like that is brown and black and white in mostly equal parts. Black bellies bring extra parasite resistance to the party too.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
For my BA it wasn't too bad-just a typed post that others could respond to. For the MA-it's a VIDEO I have to record. Why am I not happy? Well, that means that I must be showered and dressed in actual clothes
Well --- I don't know what your subject matter is (though it shouldn't matter) -- but why not do the video out in the barn, or the field with critters?? I'm guessing that not all the students / viewers are in country settings. Could get you some brownie points!! :)

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Been out for a few hours grazing and getting barn chores done already. DH has a helper today and they are going great guns moving stuff to the "storage area" --- palettes, T-posts, roof tiles, etc. Looking good and now they're doing work on the ranch road - "regrading" or releveling --- whatever. DH is looking very happy out there working. :) - 5 months since retiring and looking more and more like he's settling into the ranch life ♥️.
Half a cup left and then back out for me. Think I'll take Zo - 1 yr old pup to just hang out while I get things done.

Latest posts