Coffee anyone ?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cold, wet 42 this morning! BRRRR...after 85 early week 😡. Heater on to cut the chilly 62 inside. Heavy overcast and more 🌧️ today. I'm grumpy.

Coffee fresh, hot and needed. What's up with the 4am waking?? Yesterday I went back to sleep. Today I couldn't. Leaves me really wanting to catnap a lot, what with inside and dreary weather. 🙄

This is goat auction day. Toss up as to buyers with weather. Thought to take 3 young bucklings...just weaned...but crappy weather to catch, transport and if poor $$ a downer. Flip is that others may not take many and buyers need. 🤷 I don't want to take and bring back after in pens with¿? I'd have to isolate then.😵‍💫🤔😞😱 Geesh. Might still take these 5 roos.

This weather system is really not welcome! 👎my week started so good...😋

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Decisions, decisions. Take the bucklings or wait another week? If you are happy staying home in the icky weather, then stay home.

It’s cold and wet here, but the rain is supposed to be over. It’s been miserable, we got 5” in 2 days. I put a small barn on my NOW list. It’s right up there with fencing, clearing fence row, raise and slaughter dirty birdies, put up round pen and work/ride Reina, block portable building and move stuff from son’s house ( he’ll be leaving first of this week for 4 week job in El Paso) and start making preparations for big barn. All of this NOW. Sheep have shelter from the rain, but water runs in the shelters and/or the ground gets so saturated that it’s just wet slop. But the GRASS is gorgeous! ………back to that fencing thing……

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
@ Baymule could you RAISE the sheep shelters?? Like a perimeter, fill, reset the shelters?? Just thinking a poss solution for a short term fix....until barn can happen. 🤷🤔

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
@ Baymule could you RAISE the sheep shelters?? Like a perimeter, fill, reset the shelters?? Just thinking a poss solution for a short term fix....until barn can happen. 🤷🤔
That may be possible. The first hard rain here, I watched with great dismay as water gushed into the sheep lots. Bennett came over with his tractor and put up an earth berm the length of both pens to block water from draining through them. It helped a lot, but so much falls so fast that it floods anyway. And if I’m going to spend money on dirt, I need to put it in a permanent spot where my money will do the most good. As awful as I feel that the pen is a slop hole, thankfully it doesn’t happen often.

Two things must happen first. Set new culvert, join it to the old culvert, at the road to give a wide swing room for trucks and long trailers. Driveway is a 90 degree sharp angle with no swing room, nor any on the road either. And cut the fence on the driveway where I want to put a small barn for the front field anyway, probably 32-40 feet wide. Again, narrow driveway and no swing room.

County will set front culvert, then I have to pay for more dirt and rock to join it to the rest of the driveway. A lot of expense before I can even start on anything else.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cold, wet 42 this morning! BRRRR...after 85 early week 😡. Heater on to cut the chilly 62 inside. Heavy overcast and more 🌧️ today. I'm grumpy.

Coffee fresh, hot and needed. What's up with the 4am waking?? Yesterday I went back to sleep. Today I couldn't. Leaves me really wanting to catnap a lot, what with inside and dreary weather. 🙄

This is goat auction day. Toss up as to buyers with weather. Thought to take 3 young bucklings...just weaned...but crappy weather to catch, transport and if poor $$ a downer. Flip is that others may not take many and buyers need. 🤷 I don't want to take and bring back after in pens with¿? I'd have to isolate then.😵‍💫🤔😞😱 Geesh. Might still take these 5 roos.

This weather system is really not welcome! 👎my week started so good...😋
Tough call. 'Tis the day before Easter which could impact the number of buyers as well as the weather. Hmmm Hot Cocoa and floating Peeps - stay home warm and dry??

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good afternoon, just figured I would pop in here. Slept in this morning, guess I was tired from being home for 36 hours. Just went for a run, and about to go to the barn. Making a peeps rice crispy treat this afternoon and unpacking and doing laundry. Beautiful weather here for a couple days!
Y'all have a wonderful day and a very happy Easter!

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sheep have shelter from the rain, but water runs in the shelters and/or the ground gets so saturated that it’s just wet slop.
It is to bad that you had all those tree trunks removed. You could have used them to make a raised foundation for the sheep shelters, filled that with dirt and sand, and maybe it would have been high enough to avoid flooding.

A semi-permanent solution would be to put in french drains but it is a lot of work and would still require you to raise the shelters. Dig a trench around the sheep shelters and put in perforated pipes, cover with rock, and hopefully the rain will drain away from the shelters. Adding a deep french drain pit (abut 2-3' diameter x 4' deep filled with rock) at one corner and sloping the perforated pipes to drain to it will work even better. But again it is a lot of work and there is cost involved. It might work better to use the tractor to slope your night pen and put the shelters on the top of the slope.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh the things you can find on Amazon when you're just scrolling along .....
:lol:

plucker.jpg