Cold baby?

Missespenaloza

Just born
Reaction score
I just brought home a 4 week old nigerian dwarf buckling who's on a bottle. We got him as a companion for our 3 month old buckling. If baby goats aren't with their mother, what kind of temperatures can they be outside in? We have a small barn with a roof, but it isn't completely closed. Two sides are only 4 feet tall. The next few nights are going to be in the low 30s. We have him and his buddy in our mud room right now until we figure this out. Baby started to shiver earlier this evening and it was probably in the 50-60 range. I couldn't tell for sure if he was cold or just excited, but it felt like cold because it would start and stop every few seconds. Thanks in advance!

chickens really

Herd Master
Reaction score
Babies can shiver from the cold, excitement or from being scared? If it's cold you will need to try and keep it warmer.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Are you able to set up a warming barrel that he can use as needed? We use the warming barrels at kidding time to give the kids someplace safe/warm to be and their dam can be right next to them but not lay on them by accident.

Missespenaloza

Just born
Reaction score
Thanks, we don’t have a ton of space or electricity in our barn. Yet... We still have them in the mud room and our vet said he’d rather we keep them there as it was supposed to be 29 degrees last night. Now that I have typed all that, I’m gonna google a warming barrel, lol. Maybe it doesn’t need electricity.