Colic? Blindness? Something Else? (VET UPDATE!)

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Okay, tonight I have a real puzzler. I just got Nicky my new llama (new to me) and he's been a real sweetheart. He tore down the fence the first day between him and Sid (it was just field fence) and Sid has been acting like he's a pain in the butt, but nothing major has happened.

I came in at night to feed (first time late in the evening) and found Nicky with his face pressed against the fence, the water bucket turned over and the food more or less untouched. I panicked and thought colic.

After some encouragement, I got him from the corner where he started running into things like the buckets, the wall and other things. He grunted and groaned at me like he was in pain, but I couldn't really put my finger on it. So I curled my arm around his neck and led him inside the barn at night. I have plenty of light on to keep the chickens laying.

Nick wandered around and stumbled over stuff, eventually going to one of the chicken pens to investigate the chickens. I got a halter and put it on him. I then ran my hands all over him. He usually doesn't let me run my hands over his rear end, so this was kind of surprising. I gently put my fingers right up to his eyeballs without touching the lashes or the eye and he did not blink. He kept burying his head in my chest or pressing it against my head and making these little groaning sounds. He also practically ran over me a few times.

I walked him a bit under the light and then brought him back to the pen. I am not seeing blood or any injury. His belly doesn't feel weird, but he's on the heavy side and I'm not hearing weird stomach noises. It's well past midnight and there is no way in heck I'm getting a vet way out here at this time of night. It just won't happen.

I released him into the pen and he went back to Sid who gave him a spit-less spit. I checked on him later and his head is held up high again and he's not in a corner. I'll check on him tomorrow morning and hopefully things will be all right. I need to make an appointment with a llama vet to come out here anyway.

So, I don't know what to think. Colic? Blindness? Night blindness? I've heard of dogs having night blindness, so I suppose llamas could. I'll check on him before I go to bed, but it may explain why he's been lying down at night.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
My thought would be polio. He had a drastic food change and that can bring on polio. He needs thiamine. You may want to have a vet look at him.

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
My thought would be polio. He had a drastic food change and that can bring on polio. He needs thiamine. You may want to have a vet look at him.
Okay, dumb question. Like the human version? Is it contagious? I've got a call into the llama vet today.

The food he's on is good llama pellets and grass hay. He's not eating and I suspect not poopiing either. Sigh.

patandchickens

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
SkyWarrior said:
ksalvagno said:
Okay, dumb question. Like the human version? Is it contagious? I've got a call into the llama vet today.

The food he's on is good llama pellets and grass hay. He's not eating and I suspect not poopiing either. Sigh.
No no, no relationship whatsoever to human polio.

Google "polioencephalomalacia" (if I've spelled that right LOL), it is a thiamine deficiency thing.

That was my first thought too but whadda I know bout llamas so I figured I'd better keep quiet.

Best of luck,

Pat

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I would get probios into him too. I hope he does ok for you and the vet gets back to you soon.

Also, if you have some Banamine, I would give him a shot of that too. Some B Complex would be good but he will need thiamine.

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
I would get probios into him too. I hope he does ok for you and the vet gets back to you soon.

Also, if you have some Banamine, I would give him a shot of that too. Some B Complex would be good but he will need thiamine.
I just spoke to the vet -- he's coming out Friday. He thinks Nick is blind, but we won't know the cause until then. Actually Nick is getting better nutrition than the ranch. Llama pellets and grass hay. The rancher was feeding him sweet feed with corn and sheep food. No idea what that does.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
It is not about the quality of the feed. It is about the change. So you are doing nothing wrong. Most of the time the llamas are fine with a drastic change and there are no adverse affects but once in a while you just get one that does. It can be as simple as just a hay change. When you bring in a rescue, you just don't have the ability to slowly change them over and even then you get the random one who gets polio.

If you have B-Complex there, I would give him heavy doses of it. That will hopefully get him through to Friday. Also do the Probios and Banamine.

sayyadina

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Regular B complex may not have enough thiamine. B Complex Plus is what you want, since it has a higher amount of thiamine.

KellyHM

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Is he wobbly while walking or otherwise neurological besides the blindness? If so another thought would be Meningeal Worms (P. Tenuis) if you have them where you are.

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
KellyHM said:
Is he wobbly while walking or otherwise neurological besides the blindness? If so another thought would be Meningeal Worms (P. Tenuis) if you have them where you are.
I thought about that. I'm going to probably give him some Ivomectin, assuming the vet doesn't treat him tomorrow for it.

He's not stumbly except at night and bumps into things then.