Color confirmation for Netherland Dwarves

Sundragons

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
OK, so if I'm correctly understanding the genome correctly, the 3 black ND's on the left of this image should be black otters because they have the tan triangles behind ears.

Did I read that correctly? Looking for a confirmation or correction. I know it's a best guess based on one photo, but it's all I have right now.

The others are black, except the black tort HL.
IMG_20180505_110418.jpg

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Those are some rather odd looking Otters.:\

When I took Genetics in college, naturally we were told about how Gregor Mendel developed the foundations of modern genetics while experimenting with garden peas. In the years since, we have learned that things aren't always as cut-and-dried as he thought; sometimes you get things that you wouldn't predict. We decided that when Mendel was faced with something that didn't fit the pattern, he probably tossed it onto the compost heap on the other side of the garden wall. I suspect those bunnies might "go over the garden wall," or maybe the stew pot. :rolleyes:

Joking aside, baby colors can be a bit weird. It's quite possible that the ticking may disappear forever as the next coat comes in.

Last edited:

Sundragons

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Those are some rather odd looking Otters.:\

When I took Genetics in college, we naturally were told about how Gregor Mendel developed the foundations of modern genetics while experimenting with garden peas. In the years since, we have learned that things aren't always as cut-and-dried as he thought; sometimes you get things that you wouldn't predict. We decided that when Mendel was faced with something that didn't fit the pattern, he probably tossed it onto the compost heap on the other side of the garden wall. I suspect those bunnies might "go over the garden wall," or maybe the stew pot. :rolleyes:

Joking aside, baby colors can be a bit weird. It's quite possible that the ticking may disappear forever as the next coat comes in.

Yeah, the one on the far left is definitely full of ticking. The other 2 are pretty solid. The HL is a foster. :) Buck is black, Doe is black otter. neither are pedigreed, so definitely a crap shoot on what's in their family trees as far as color genetic go. First time breeding this doe, the buck has been a consistent performer for us though.

Will have to see how they grow out I guess. They're 4 weeks this week.