Colorado

Catahoula

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Wow, Haven't been on the forum for awhile... Wanted to say hello. Still have goats...one boer and 3 alpine plus a mini alpine kid who is 13 days old. I still have my wethers but have added a pregnant doe (now a mama with a buckling). Still living in the mountain at 8150'. We have had some heavy snow...2+ feet in March and then 3+feet in April. Not tired of snow yet but I am getting too old to dig paths for the goats and...oh yeah, got chickens and couple geese also. I think a lot of people had gone to Facebook, including myself.

Alexz7272

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hello Catahoula! I have to say I am excited to see someone who knows about the breed! I have two sister Catahoula's, I have fallen completely in love with the breed!

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome back.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Great that you stopped by! Some of us were on FB and have left it (moi).

Alexz7272

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
All right Colorado people! Lets pick up the pace here :p
What has been the toughest things to worry about this year so far?
Mine would be the sudden rain storms, I know they are common here but it seems lately-ish they just roll out of nowhere up here. Literally one minute I am hammering in a t-post and the next there is lightning next to me and downpour rain. Also the wind, I have learned my lesson plenty of times about how strong the wind is where we are at. Trying to build a DIY structure that can withstand the snow-load & wind has been a challenge. Also my grass/field. Too much rain then no enough has burned my front field pretty badly. Still working on managing it correctly, but it is tough.
Anyone else care to share? :)

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
Okay, lets try!
The rain has been a struggle. My toughest thing was probably the workload this year compared to others. The meat birds were a lot and I had a few other pens of chickens. Normal chores changed from ten minutes to thirty minutes.

Alexz7272

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Okay, lets try!
The rain has been a struggle. My toughest thing was probably the workload this year compared to others. The meat birds were a lot and I had a few other pens of chickens. Normal chores changed from ten minutes to thirty minutes.

How many meat birds did you have this year? Have you processed them yet?

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had 24 this year. We processed 18 on our own, one died earlier and was done one its own, three went to fair and sold and I still have two.
Have you ever tried meat birds?

Alexz7272

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have not tried meat birds yet. I want to though! Just need to figure out what kind of pen I need to build. is there a specific breed you prefer?

Latest posts