comb formation

Alicia

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hello all, has been a while....
I was checking on my bees the other day, looked in the top box where I gave them foundation less frames. Have discovered that they built their combs cross ways, going from frame to frame instead of lengthwise within a frame.
Now what? Will try and get pics soon
Thanks,
Alicia

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh my, what a mess that must be...silly girls. I really have no solution for you, was this the honey super or are they laying brood in it?

Alicia

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thankfully it's a brood box.
The honey super has frames with foundation...hoping that will keep them start. Do I need to worry about the brood box?
It's a new hive, got it early this summer. Very strong hive already.

Maggiesdad

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If you want to fix it, I would treat it just like a cutout. Filet that mess outta there and rubberband it into some new frames. Take care to keep the brood nest in order, and the cell alignment right. They will reattach them and cut out the rubber bands. In the future, draw new foundationless frames between existing strait brood comb. And check on them a little more often! ;)

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
What ^he^ said... It's NOT going to be easy, pretty, or fun... I'm sure the hive will be very upset once you start dismantling everything. Hope you have a good bee suit, and fire up that smoker! Pick a nice warm day (before noon) with little wind as well... the brood will be exposed to the open air for a while as you're doing this.

Happy Chooks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sounds like a big mess. I don't have experience with foundation less, so I don't have any advise to offer.

I have read about cut outs, and that does sound like your only option right now. I've also read about people splitting up foundation less with frames with foundation to keep them drawing straight.

Alicia

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ok.....so how do I make sure I don't harm the brood babies?
Just want to make sure I'm understanding. ...I cut the comb out and secure it to the frames with rubber bands?
Very new to this.....how do I know which way is correct for proper cell alignment?

Alicia

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
What would happen if I left them the way they are?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
If they were new this summer do they even have brood in the top box? Mine still have the brood nest in the bottom and are just storing honey and pollen in the top box. If you leave them you will never be able to inspect the frames but it will probably upset you more than it does them...really just guessing here. But I don't know that I would do anything this late in the year. They need all the brood and stores that they have, I would let them be until spring when it won't be a disaster if you accidentally do kill some brood; they will have time to recover then. JMO

If there are any blank slots that they haven't built across I would put in some frames with foundation; a little gentle persuasion. :)

Alicia

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Okay....that sounds like a good plan. I really didn't want to harm them this close to fall and then winter.
I will get some other frames with foundation to help them figure it out.
I really appreciate the help!

Latest posts