Combining hive

Alicia

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hello all.
I am thinking of splitting a hive.....but instead of splitting one hive, I would like to take a little from 2 hives and combine them for one new hive.
Has anyone done this? Is it possible, will the bees get along?
Thanks!
Alicia

Maggiesdad

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I do mixed origin combines with my topbars, taking brood with nurse bees from at least 3 hives, 4 is better - making absolutely sure the queen is not on them, then giving the new nuc a capped queen cell. It works well.

Frames frome two hives might work, I would pull at least six (3 ea) brood frames plus a honey pollen and give them a mated queen a 24h later. Or a queen cell. Smoke 'em good when you combine to throw off their pheromones.

Alicia

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ok. I can def do 3 frames each with brood and honey. I think I wilL have to buy a queen, or hope there are queen cells present. Will do an inspection tonight.
Do you have a recommendation of where to buy a queen from?
Is this a good time in the season to do this?
Thanks!
Alicia

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
This is a good time of year to do this, especially if you have a honey flow. If no serious honey flow right now you should feed them and maybe feed them anyways. I would like to requeen a hive this year and I was told for my area to do it before Aug 15, but we are much hotter and drier than WA.

I buy my queens locally from Wootens Golden Queens in Palo Cedro, CA. Good Italian stock but I would like to try the Minnesota Hygenic Queens but the cost is $$$ considering shipping. I would Google Queens in your area and see if there are any breeders.

Maggiesdad

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Get up with Laurie Miller, she's in your neck of the woods and she knows bees. She has queens.

Alicia

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I did find some one..Mark Adams with Northwest Queens, on a list.
I will also check with Laurie and she what she has.
I'm also in the process of buying the equip needed....will post updates.
Thanks for the help!

Latest posts