1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Using Goats to get rid of Mugwort - Discussion Threads
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Comparison of Sheep Milk vs Goat Milk

Discussion in 'Milking' started by FarmGuru, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Oct 12, 2011
    SheepGirl

SheepGirl Master of Sheep Golden Herd Member

According to my Sheep Production Handbook (page 104):

Dry Matter
    Sheep: 17.4-18.9%
    Goats: 11.9-14.0%

Fat
    Sheep: 5.5-7.5%
    Goats: 4.1-4.5%

Alb. Glob.
    Sheep: 0.9-1.1%
    Goats: 0.4-1.0%

Casein
    Sheep: 4.3-4.6%
    Goats: 2.5-3.3%

Lactose
    Sheep: 4.3-4.8%
    Goats: 4.1-4.4%

Kcal/100g
    Sheep: 113
    Goats: 77

2. Oct 12, 2011
    wannacow

wannacow Overrun with beasties

That was very interesting. Thanks for the info. Now, I NEED to taste sheep milk. :lol: My goat is leaving on Monday to get bred. No more goat milk for 6 months... :hit At least we have raw cow's milk.

3. Oct 12, 2011
    zzGypsy

zzGypsy Ridin' The Range

Ha! yeah, I left that part out...
    but only because my books are still packed from moving....
    handy reference, thanks!

4. Oct 13, 2011
    kstaven

kstaven Purple Cow/Moderator Golden Herd Member

Better get this one on test because on a twice a day milking you would shatter every record for production there is.

5. Oct 14, 2011
    zzGypsy

zzGypsy Ridin' The Range

not sure what "on test" is... I'm just a home dairy person with pretty good goats.

Branbles is out of championship milk lines, her grandmother Creamy was a 3 gallon a day milker (on 2-a-day milkings). she had an udder that quite litterally was to her ankles.... teats just barely off the ground. looked like a cow udder in size. I saw her right after her last kidding about 2 years before she died.
    the gal who owned her, and bred my excellent dairy goat, did the show circuit with the grandma goat for quite a while - retired her with permanent champion status (? not sure I've got the terms right as I don't show.) said she won every class she entered, probably on udder capacity.

ETA: on Brambles first freshening we milked her for 18months... at 18 months out she was still producing between 1 and 1.25 gallons a day on one-a-day milkings. she was *tough* to dry off.

one down side to this goat, she's produced singles twice now, (got two others that produce trips and one that produces twins). but I've got two of her daughters, we'll see how they do production wise, the older of the two will be a first freshener this spring.

6. Nov 28, 2011
    Godiva

Godiva Just born

What an informative thread! I must say that I love sheep's milk cheeses, and yoghurt! But I would love to try it fresh!!! I can't wait until we have our own land again and we can get some dairy animals going!!!!

7. Jun 12, 2018
    Steve Quintavalli

Steve Quintavalli Herd lurker

Wow, great stuff! I have done a lot of internet research on goats and sheep but one thing I haven't been able to figure out is which breed of sheep has the best milk. I understand the milking breeds but which ones are sweeter, creamier? In goats, I have read that Nigerian dwarf goats produce really creamy milk, the best of all diary goats. I also read that some goats produce more tart, if that is the correct description, milk like Nubians and toggenburgs...is sheep milk all the same tasting, regardless of breed or are there differences like goats?

My interest is in gelato and ice cream, my favorite aspect of diary....not a cheese fan unless it is a cheese burger or pizza....although my wife likes all those crazy cheeses (I just see it as a missed opportunity for more ice cream and gelato
    : (

8. Jun 12, 2018
    Donna R. Raybon

Donna R. Raybon Loving the herd life

No, nay, never, if all healthy and clean milking/prompt effective chilling to 33° 40°F. Goat milk should taste like the BEST milk you ever wrapped your lips around.

Sheep have short teats and can be a pain to hand milk. Fresian are now available in USA. Having to shear twice a year is a royal pain. Find some one doing what you want to do and visit.