Concerned about my buck

whitelady

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
For the last couple days my New Zealand Red buck, Kentucky, has been a little off. He usually has a big appetite, but he hasn't been eating much, only the hay I put in his cage to tempt him. He also hasn't been drinking much, but there's nothing wrong with his waterer; it isn't stuck or clogged or anything. Also, the thing that I first noticed about him was that the rim around his eyes was pink and swollen. He doesn't have a runny nose, and he is seemingly in otherwise good condition. Oh, except that there aren't very many pellets underneath his hutch, and the ones that are there are small. Does anyone know what is wrong with him?

whitelady

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Too late; he died. :hit He had been getting worse- breathing difficultly and laying listlessly around his cage. I took him to the vet's office today and he died while he was there. The vet guessed that he had some kind of upper respiratory disease, but he was unable to diagnose it before my rabbit died. Needless to say the Kleenexes have been running rampant at my house. :hit :hit :hit :hit :hit :hit :hit :hit :hit

On a happier note, my other rabbit Winnie is going to have babies in a few days! :weee (my now-deceased rabbit being the father). These rabbits are taking me on an emotional roller-coaster! :p

TigerLilly

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your buck. Hopefully your doe will have some baby bucks to fill his spot. I know you wont find one to 'replace' him in your heart.