1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Using Goats to get rid of Mugwort - Discussion Threads
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Concerned about my goat

Discussion in 'Diseases & Injuries - Goats' started by AFewGoatsForMe, May 24, 2018.

1. May 24, 2018
    AFewGoatsForMe

AFewGoatsForMe Ridin' The Range

About a month ago, I had two goats give birth that weren’t supposed to be pregnant. One did really great and both of her babies are thriving. The other really struggled while giving birth and her baby didn’t make it. That doe has been really sickly since then. I’ve had fecals run and have had to treat for worms multiple times and also do a cocci treatment. Her fecals are looking clear but she is still acting weak and just lays around a lot. She has also lost a lot of weight and doesn’t have much intrest in her grain. Her eyes are really pale and I don’t know what else to do for her. My vet doesn’t really specialize in goats and sheep, he is more of a cow guy, but I trust his ability to run a fecal correctly. Advice?

2. May 24, 2018
    Southern by choice

Southern by choice Herd Master

If she had a high worm load, difficulty in pregnancy /delivery she may very well be anemic.

Anemia and deficiency can cause many issues.

What breed is she? How big is she? What other feed sources is she on? Minerals?

If it were my goat I would be giving red-cell.

alsea1 likes this.
  3. May 24, 2018
    AFewGoatsForMe

She is a one year old Nubian, I bought her and the other doe in February, they were not supposed to be pregnant.

Our pasture is a clover/brome/alfalfa mix. We aren’t offering hay at this time. They get grain two times a day with free choice mineral.

Can I get red cell from a feed store or is it something only available from the vet?

4. May 24, 2018
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses True BYH Addict

Often a heavy worm load can create problems within the intestines and affect her ability to absorb nutrients because of damaged tissue. Couple that with supporting a pregnancy and she would be in a poor state. I agree with SBC, both problem and the Red Cell. She will need time to heal and it will be a slow process. Free choice good hay, some fresh pasture time, loose minerals, smaller amounts of pellets a couple times a day. Watch and wait, keep track of her weight to see if she is gaining. That would be my handling.

ETA: Yes red Cell is available at most feed stores.

5. May 24, 2018
    Wehner Homestead

Wehner Homestead True BYH Addict

I’m going to say ProBios again. If she’s had intestinal issues, a boost of good bacteria may be the ticket...

Ridgetop and babsbag like this.
  6. May 24, 2018
    babsbag

babsbag Herd Master

Maybe add a little calf manna to her grain. The stuff is very high in protein so only use the amount suggested on the bag.

alsea1, Ridgetop and Wehner Homestead like this.
  7. May 24, 2018
    babsbag

babsbag Herd Master

You can also drench them with a good hefenweizen beer. Widmer Brothers Hefe is the brand we use in CA. It has a bacteria very similar to a goat's rumen. And that my good friends is a reason I don't drink beer. :sick

Wehner Homestead likes this.
  8. May 25, 2018
    AFewGoatsForMe

I went to the feed store today and got probiotics and red cell. The only red cell they had was for horses and I’m not sure what the dosage should be for a goat. Can someone help me out?

7E628DC8-EFD9-4E2A-9FF9-747BC74F241B.jpeg

35F36146-6B8B-4879-8553-D395D2A34460.jpeg

9. May 25, 2018
    Wehner Homestead

Wehner Homestead True BYH Addict

That’s the right stuff! For Blossom we did 6 ml per 100# and that was an actual weight, not a tape weight.

10. May 25, 2018
    Southern by choice

Southern by choice Herd Master

Yes, that is what is suggested, however you must be careful as it is nutrient rich. Especially with Selenium. As with all things off label you should consult with your veterinarian first.

Weight accuracy is important.

I know many assume thin goat give more feed or up the intake with things like calf manna, challenger etc. But I am not convinced these things are always a good idea. Usually they are extremely high in protein and an animal not utilizing that protein can actually get worse. Over taxing the kidneys. Throwing them off metabolically. There must be a balance of fats and proteins. If you end up with Fat protein inversion then you just have a downed goat.

Wehner Homestead likes this.