Concerned about my goat

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I second the possibility of being anemic, and also suggest you test or just treat for anaplasmosis.

AFewGoatsForMe

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
She died. She lost the ability to use her legs, although she was eating and drinking very well. She was very weak and couldn’t stand on her own. All of her fecals came back clear, we took her to the vet to have him check her and she died hours later.

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I am so sorry for your loss. As someone who's been in goats for just a few years the learning curve is steep and costly. Besides the anemia worms and anaplasmosis that I mentioned earlier did you ever check for ketosis? There are just so many things it's difficult.
:hugs

Hipshot

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm sorry for your loss . I hate that part of farming . Always have . I'm curious and wonder what her milking status was ? Was she gorged at kidding ? I know she lost the kid and just wondered if she bagged and was milked ? Did you do a necropsy? I'm also wondering if she suffered internal injuries . Pretty sure the vet was right on the fecal count . I think a few bacterial cultures and antibiotics might have helped but I'm just guessing .:idunno I'm happy your others are doing good .

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
So sorry to hear about your loss. That is a big money loss for you too - vet bills and loss of the animal and kids too. Kidding as a yearling should not have killed her. There was obviously something other than the worm load that was wrong with her. Did the vet take any blood you could run for testing? So many diseases that can contribute to loss of kids and death of doe. I would suggest you run some tests on the surviving doe to eliminate any diseases that may have come from the breeder's herd. If nothing else, it will eliminate any problems in future. I would not buy from that breeder again until you rule out the possibility of CAE, and other diseases. We had an older healthy doe go down years ago and the vet diagnosed it as tetanus which really surprised us since all vaccinations were up to date. We later found out that there is a condition caused by severe lack of one of the B vitamins that minics tetanus in the drawn back head and inability to stand. We could have saved her and it has always bothered me that I found out too late to help. That is what is so good about this site - everyone offering suggestions from their own experiences.

I am glad that the other doe and her kids are doing well. If you run tests, let us know what the results are.

Donna R. Raybon

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
She died. She lost the ability to use her legs, although she was eating and drinking very well. She was very weak and couldn’t stand on her own. All of her fecals came back clear, we took her to the vet to have him check her and she died hours later.

Yes, been there, too. Sorry to hear this. Sometimes there is just nothing that can be done to save them. It is a hard thing, though. Those first couple of years keeping livestock are fraught with learning experiences that sometimes don't end well for the critter. I have a notebook full of such that happened and it provided many answers later to prevent another tragedy. Again, been there and know....

Latest posts