Concerning behavior from FF ND with preemie kid

lomine

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Some of you may recognize/remember my ND Cookie from this thread.
https://www.backyardherds.com/threads/urgent-nd-doe-in-labor-too-early.38296/

A quick refresher, she kidded on 08/13 to a live kid and a sterile mummy. She was somewhere between 5-12 days early. It was rough for her and it wasn't until the evening of 08/14 that she really started to bond with the kid and let her nurse.

Things had been going well with mom and kid, Adelind, until my other FF kidded early Monday morning. Since then Cookie has been acting differently. When I got home from work yesterday she had left Adelind asleep in the barn stall while she grazed in the field. When the other FF headbutts Adelind (when she gets to close to the other kids) Cookie does nothing to protect her. This morning Adelind was crying after being headbutted and Cookie just looked at her. I have not seen her lick Adelind in the last 2 days.

The thing I'm most worried about is she isn't allowing Adelind to nurse very much. Yesterday she was spinning in circles to keep her from nursing. I held Cookie still and Adelind nursed for about 2 or 3 minutes (this was right after waking up). It looks like she mostly lets her nurse for a very short time and then tries to move. This morning I milked Cookie on the stand and offered Adelind a bottle but she didn't want it.

As of early afternoon Adelind seems to be doing okay. She is alert and seems to nurse fine when aloud to. She has gained 3.08 lbs over the past two weeks. But I feel like if she doesn't get as much milk as she needs she will go down hill quickly.

An experienced goat friend thinks that Cookie might have been reminded of her traumatic labor and/or is confused by the new kids. On her suggestion I have separated Cookie and Adelind into a barn stall for the day. Anyone have any other thoughts or suggestions?

(Sorry for the long post.)

Donna R. Raybon

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Always a good idea to milk outdid and check for mastitis. You did that and nothing wrong. Tears can get sore and chapped, too. Kids lower front teeth are very sharp.

Some does can get confused about who their kid is and putting new babies and momma up for a few days is always a good idea,

The first few days doe lets kids nurse pretty much all the time. After kids get going well and are spry, she starts limiting feedings to several times a day.

You are keeping any eye on kid weight gain which is good way to ensure all is ok.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Extremely rare in a ND but you may just to be on the cautious side take the dam's temp to make sure there is no beginnings of milk fever. (The temp will be low- not high)
As far as her not protecting her kid... some does do, some does don't.
Like Donna already said, they can be pretty funny about when and how long they let kids nurse at a setting.

lomine

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Sorry for not responding sooner. I didn’t get a notification that there was a reply.

Putting the two up for the day and night seems to have helped. Cookie is letting her nurse more now and was more protective. She’s still not super protective like the other FF but I guess that’s a difference in them.

As suggested I did take mom’s temp. It was 101.7. Unfortunately I have no idea what her normal temp is but this is only slightly lower than the average (according to google). I’m assuming it’s within a safe range. She isn’t acting ill. And yes, when I milked her it was normal. She was actually fantastic on the milk stand too, didn’t kick once. Her teats appear normal and not sore.

Adelind is still active and alert. She’s running around all over the place. I guess I am just being very cautious and I’m not afraid to say I’ve become very attached to this kid. This is new to me so I don’t know what’s typical behavior for the mom but Adelind had a very rough start so I want to make sure she has no setbacks.

Last edited:

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
All sounds good! Yes she is in normal range.

Just FYI always take temp in morning or late evening not when they have been outside in the summer heat or out when it is cold in winter. It is a better baseline.
Of course in am emergency take take whenever needed. :)

When temp gets to 100 or below is when there is a problem (in most cases) with milk fever.

lomine

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
All sounds good! Yes she is in normal range.

Just FYI always take temp in morning or late evening not when they have been outside in the summer heat or out when it is cold in winter. It is a better baseline.
Of course in am emergency take take whenever needed. :)

When temp gets to 100 or below is when there is a problem (in most cases) with milk fever.
Oh that's good to know. Thanks. Do you take and record a baseline temp for all your goats?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh that's good to know. Thanks. Do you take and record a baseline temp for all your goats?
Yes, we have a large herd- well kinda large, to some small, lol but yes. And that is a good thing to know so great catch for you to want to know that and do that.
Baby goats are a bit different as they do have a harder time regulating. Adults however generally have a range that they stay within.
If any goat here goes above 103 we are watching closely. If a kid hits103 we are in a panic. If an adult hits 103.5 (here) there is something going on.
It is pretty interesting how consistent the goats are. Of course that is our farm.

lomine

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Interesting. Guess I’ll be taking some temps sometime soon. Thanks.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is pretty normal for mom to leave her kid and go off and graze. Sometimes they will actually stick the kid somewhere, like under a tree or under a feeder and just leave. I have spent some frantic moments looking for kids all while yelling at the doe "where is your baby?". They always seem to show up eventually. I have good fences and lots of dogs to protect them so I don't worry about predators, but they can sure hide them away.

If the kid isn't crying she is most likely getting enough to eat. Nursing for 10-20 seconds is pretty normal.

Latest posts