Concerns about young goats size

Big family- small farm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello all. I purchased two Boer/ Alpine X doelings last fall, born 06.30.2019.
They are each roughly 35#. I have had some herders same they felt these are small for age and possibly had early illness or something to stunt growth. Others with doelings within 5# of similar breed. Looking for opinions on size, and is there a way to move the size along, not for meat but for breeding purposes?

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would agree. I, also don’t have those breeds, but my much smaller breeds are much bigger than that, and when they were of similar age. My ND doe...is 37lbs at one year. When I’m trying to put back weight on my does...please realize, I’m new to this, and got most of my info from books, internet, and right on here...but, I’ve been giving my does..who are in milk high protein feed. A goat feed, BOSS, oats, soybean pulp, beet pulp, and sweet feed. Depending on how much I feel they need to gain, is how I decide how much to do the ratios. But, soy and beet are rich, so, it may cause the poop to clump...don’t stress...I did!! It’s just from the extra rich feed. If you cut back on those parts...the poop goes back to berries. :). But, this is what was recommended to me for putting weight on a doe in milk...it might be totally different for ones that are just underdeveloped. I would definitely try some nutridrench or some jump start...I like to use that even when my kids are just feeling sluggish. Usually helps them get an appetite, energy, etc. perhaps..... @rachels.haven , @B&B Happy goats , @Mini Horses ...will see this and come along to help. They’ve given me tons and tons of help!!

Big family- small farm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Probably why I didnt question, between winter and all my does are ND cross of some sort. What is BOSS?

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Probably why I didnt question, between winter and all my does are ND cross of some sort. What is BOSS?
Black oil sunflower seeds...you can get a 50 lb bag for about $20... pretty cheap, and they love them. Are they lacking in minerals? What k8nd do you offer?

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
First and foremost I would have a fecal ran to make sure you are not dealing with any parasite issues. Are the weights a guess or have you weighed them?

Boer & Alpines are both big goats. I would expect a bigger goat at 9 months old. My slow growing ND doe at 6 months is 39.9 lbs.

What are you currently feeding them?

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
They are each roughly 35#. I have had some herders same they felt these are small for age and possibly had early illness or something to stunt growth. Others with doelings within 5# of similar breed. Looking for opinions on size, and is there a way to move the size along, not for meat but for breeding purposes?
maybe its the breed. is he the only one small within the group? if he is. then we have a problem.

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hello! Hows your miniature goat? I hope he's doing well and good. have a great day.

Latest posts