Conditioning the rescued horse.

LauraM

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
dianneS said:
She's not bad lookin' either! Do you have any recent photos of her?
Nothing since last fall. I don't function well in the cold. :D

I do plan on getting some photos of her when the weather gets a bit warmer and I can get her cleaned up. ;) :D I'll try to remember to post some here.

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm still a bit concerned. This horse is eating well now and I have him on a 10% protein, 10% fat, 12.5% fiber feed right now and he's getting 10 pounds a day. He's very eager to eat now.

I think I may worm him weekly for one month and have his teeth done. He's been fully vetted, has no illnesses or diseases, he's sound and solid and in good health. I just wonder why he still looks so thin and has such a poor quality coat? He was with the rescue for quite some time, so I would have thought he would have improved more in that time period.

I brushed his tail last week and clumps of hair fell out. Didn't break off, there were roots on the ends. He also had what I think could only be a patch of rain rot on his back. It was very painful and sensitive, but I treated it and its healing up now.

LauraM

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
dianneS said:
I'm still a bit concerned. This horse is eating well now and I have him on a 10% protein, 10% fat, 12.5% fiber feed right now and he's getting 10 pounds a day. He's very eager to eat now.

I think I may worm him weekly for one month and have his teeth done. He's been fully vetted, has no illnesses or diseases, he's sound and solid and in good health. I just wonder why he still looks so thin and has such a poor quality coat? He was with the rescue for quite some time, so I would have thought he would have improved more in that time period.

I brushed his tail last week and clumps of hair fell out. Didn't break off, there were roots on the ends. He also had what I think could only be a patch of rain rot on his back. It was very painful and sensitive, but I treated it and its healing up now.
I would add 8 oz of whole flax seed to his rations for the coat and skin, it will also help the digestive system utilize the feed more efficiently. As well as 15 grams of Magnesium, which also helps with coat and skin problems. I would also start him on Rice Bran. If all you're feeding him is

10% protein, 10% fat, 12.5% fiber feed
That's not really very efficient feed for weight gain. (I'm assuming he has free choice, high-quality hay, here.) Plus, at 10 lbs of it per day, he's probably not able to efficiently digest all of that, unless it's broken into four feedings. Even two five pound feedings is not sufficient and much will be unused.

I, personally, would leave off the commercial mix feed and instead feed about a lb (dry) of beet pulp (wet it after you weigh out the ration), and add in a good ration balancer, 8 oz whole flax seed, work up to 2 lbs of rice bran and see how that goes. If needed, I'd then also include up to two pounds of BOSS. This gives you a nutritionally balanced ration that is MUCH higher in fat and calories than what he's currently getting.

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
One thing to remember with some horses they don't show weight loss or gain until it is REALLY noticable. If you are worried he is not gaining try using a weight tape, rather than using it to check weight use it too see gains that are so small over the course of a week you really can't see it with your eyes. I have to do this with one of ours when she is put back in work from a winter on pasture as it seems she can go 50 lbs either way before you notice any gain or loss.

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Plus, at 10 lbs of it per day, he's probably not able to efficiently digest all of that, unless it's broken into four feedings. Even two five pound feedings is not sufficient and much will be unused.
Hmmm, that's interesting. He is on two 5lb feedings, and that is what he was on when he came here. I could break his feedings up into four/day most days, but doing that every day would be hard. I am giving him about a cup of flax and we're up to a pound of BOSS with each feeding, so that's 2lbs of BOSS daily. I haven't tried the rice bran yet.

I did find out that he's UTD on teeth too. The rescue said that they don't think he WILL gain much more weight, but rather needs to build more muscle, perhaps this is just how he's going to be built until he gets into condition?

Good advice about the weight tape. I did tape him recently and he's about 1190. I've taken photos every few days so far.... its too soon to see any changes but the weight tape is a good idea.

LauraM

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
dianneS said:
Plus, at 10 lbs of it per day, he's probably not able to efficiently digest all of that, unless it's broken into four feedings. Even two five pound feedings is not sufficient and much will be unused.
Just that a 10% feed is not going to do a lot for weight gain. As well, the 10 % protein won't help a great deal with putting on muscle.........and five pounds is still a lot of concentrates for a horse to digest in one sitting. :)

That being said...........

I am giving him about a cup of flax and we're up to a pound of BOSS with each feeding, so that's 2lbs of BOSS daily. I haven't tried the rice bran yet.
The flax will make up in the protein department for the lack of protein in the commercial mix........though I don't know how much flax a cup is (by weight) so I really don't know how much protein or fat your giving him there. Eight ounces will give all the Omega 3s (essential fatty acids) a horse needs and a good bit of the protein.

I did find out that he's UTD on teeth too. The rescue said that they don't think he WILL gain much more weight, but rather needs to build more muscle, perhaps this is just how he's going to be built until he gets into condition?
It's possible he could be a light-boned, daintier type horse......but I would say he could still put on some fat. Sure, he'll look better with muscling across the topline and haunches, and yes that will add bulk to his "look," but even a completely out-of-shape, couch-potato horse can look fat even if they don't have muscle. At any rate, the flax will definitely help with adding more protein to the diet. :)

I had mentioned that I would have added in Rice bran before going to BOSS simply because I've found with skinny, undernurished horses, that they often find it easier to digest and process the rice bran. RB also has the gamma oryzanol, (which is known for it's muscle-building properties). It might be something to think about switching the BOSS for the RB for a few months and see if that makes a difference.

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Got some more info from the rescue. He just had his teeth "checked" in the fall, not floated. Most likely a vet checked his teeth. I'm calling an equine dentist asap.

I don't know if I would call him "undernourished"? At least he shouldn't be despite the fact that he looks it. He's been with the rescue since at least November, he was getting a 12% feed at 5lbs per day twice a day, that's all they told me.

He was getting picked on and beat up by other horses at a foster farm for at least a month, possibly more. I don't know if he was given his grain in a stall or in the pasture? I'm sure he got little to no hay in the pasture though. If he had to fight for his grain, I'm sure he got none. This guy is a big sissy.

I'll get some rice bran tomorrow. I am going to put him on a more frequent worming schedule. I think I'm just being impatient. I know its going to take some time to see a difference, I guess I'm just concerned because I would have expected the rescue to get his weight up a little more if they could? Unless he lost most of his weight at the foster's? That's what I'm hoping anyway.

When the spring grasses start to come in he'd better gain some weight, we've got plenty of pasture... I just wish spring would get here and the mud would dry up!!! :barnie I can't take any more mud!!!

LauraM

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
dianneS said:
When the spring grasses start to come in he'd better gain some weight, we've got plenty of pasture.
Oh that will make a huge difference.

I just wish spring would get here and the mud would dry up!!! :barnie I can't take any more mud!!!
Same here...........it just rained here ALL DAY today. :th

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Same here...........it just rained here ALL DAY today.
Yep, same here, all day yesterday. I'm in South Central PA, near the MD border so we're probably experiencing the same weather patterns.

I could really do without rain for quite some time.

yankee'n'moxie

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
The mud could go away here too! UGH! :/ The run-in is sitting in a puddle right now! Thank goodness that the weather has been mostly dry here in Maine, and they can take their feed outside! I can't wait to finish the new run-in on the dry end of the pasture!

Good luck with your TB! My farrier told me that when it comes to underweight horses "It takes about 30 days for that first handful of grain to start showing". Also, how you thought that you saw some improvement, my thought was that probably his stomach and intestines were empty when he got to your house, and then he filled himself up and his stomach and intestines expanded, making himself look bigger... IDK, just a thought...