Conditioning the rescued horse.

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I finally got that round bale in front of the big guy. That's such a relief to know that he has all the hay he can eat. I gave him some beet pulp the other day and he didn't hate it, however, he's not eating as much grain now as he prefers to fill up on hay. But he did finish all of his breakfast today.

I think he'll be fine, I don't think he's so much of a hard keeper as I once thought he might be. I actually think that a good portion of his "thinness" is because he's been so nervous and uneasy. He's not a high-strung, spooky, nervous horse, he's just really apprehensive and so afraid that someone is going to kick or bite him. He even lifts his head in his stall and looks around with every bite (wasting a LOT of food!) as if he's afraid someone is going to sneak up on him... the poor boy.

I looked online for a slow grain feeder and found one. Its basically like a huge bucket with a bottom like a muffin tin. The horse has to use his lips and tongue to get the food out of the holes and it slows down the horse's eating and keeps their heads down in a relaxed position. Since this big horse broke his feed tub IN HALF by cribbing on it (the miracle collar that the rescue sent with him wasn't doing any good. I just got him a cribbing strap that works.) I decided to bungee cord a big muck bucket in the corner of his stall on the floor as his new feeder, very similar to the slow grain feeder but without the divots in the bottom. That poor horse was so afraid to lower his head and reach into that scary tub! OMG, it was so pitiful, he wanted his food so bad but was afraid of the new feed tub!

He's finally getting the hang of it and not only is he no longer afraid of the feed tub, but he has completely stopped raising his head and looking around with every bite! There wasn't one bit of wasted food on the ground today! He's much more relaxed while eating now. He's also defending his hay in the pasture and not letting the others chase him away anymore. He and my mare are sharing the round bale and they take turns eating from it. One naps while one eats and vice versa.

I think that once he calms down and relaxes more and realizes that he's safe here and no one is going to beat him up anymore, he will start to put on weight and won't burn off so many calories through nervous energy.

LauraM

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
dianneS said:
I finally got that round bale in front of the big guy. That's such a relief to know that he has all the hay he can eat. I gave him some beet pulp the other day and he didn't hate it, however, he's not eating as much grain now as he prefers to fill up on hay. But he did finish all of his breakfast today.

I think he'll be fine, I don't think he's so much of a hard keeper as I once thought he might be. I actually think that a good portion of his "thinness" is because he's been so nervous and uneasy. He's not a high-strung, spooky, nervous horse, he's just really apprehensive and so afraid that someone is going to kick or bite him. He even lifts his head in his stall and looks around with every bite (wasting a LOT of food!) as if he's afraid someone is going to sneak up on him... the poor boy.

I looked online for a slow grain feeder and found one. Its basically like a huge bucket with a bottom like a muffin tin. The horse has to use his lips and tongue to get the food out of the holes and it slows down the horse's eating and keeps their heads down in a relaxed position. Since this big horse broke his feed tub IN HALF by cribbing on it (the miracle collar that the rescue sent with him wasn't doing any good. I just got him a cribbing strap that works.) I decided to bungee cord a big muck bucket in the corner of his stall on the floor as his new feeder, very similar to the slow grain feeder but without the divots in the bottom. That poor horse was so afraid to lower his head and reach into that scary tub! OMG, it was so pitiful, he wanted his food so bad but was afraid of the new feed tub!

He's finally getting the hang of it and not only is he no longer afraid of the feed tub, but he has completely stopped raising his head and looking around with every bite! There wasn't one bit of wasted food on the ground today! He's much more relaxed while eating now. He's also defending his hay in the pasture and not letting the others chase him away anymore. He and my mare are sharing the round bale and they take turns eating from it. One naps while one eats and vice versa.

I think that once he calms down and relaxes more and realizes that he's safe here and no one is going to beat him up anymore, he will start to put on weight and won't burn off so many calories through nervous energy.
Poor fella. :(

Sounds like you have a good handle on things. I imagine that having that large feed tub (once he got used to it) helped a lot with allowing him to relax while eating. He wouldn't feel so much like his head was trapped and his eyes covered so he didn't feel like he had to keep slinging his head up to check his surroundings. :)

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
This is that slow grain feeder. http://www.pre-ventfeeders.com/FAQ_horse_feeders.htm

Its pretty cool, but I don't think I'll be investing in one. We have a system that works pretty well right now. If they had a grain feeder that took them several HOURS to empty, that would be cool.

I had the big guy out and did some groundwork today. He is a lovely mover! Oh my, he just floats! His hair is growing back in where he had bite marks on him now. My ponies are shedding out already, but this guy not so much. He really doesn't have much of a winter coat to shed. Its pretty pitiful. His feet are good and his hooves healthy, but they are a bit dry and have some superficial cracks, nothing deep. Farrier comes tomorrow and I'll get his opinion.

I really like this big boy and can't wait til he's fill out and healthy, he's just a sweetheart.

bluebirdsnfur

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have been following along on your report of your new boy's progress. I am so glad to see he is coming along with his improvements! Nice job dianneS!