1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hay for young goats - Discussion Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Contest Time!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice

4. BYC Other Poultry Calendar for sale!!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Conflicting info - please help

Discussion in 'Meat Rabbits' started by Suzy74, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Dec 31, 2017
    Suzy74

Suzy74 Just born

We are in the process of setting up our small rabbitry. We would like to finish them on pasture, but have also heard to NEVER to feed young rabbits greens. So I guess i'm confused on how pasture finished rabbits works. Can someone clarify? Thanks!

2. Dec 31, 2017
    Pastor Dave

Pastor Dave True BYH Addict

I would guess their systems have to get use to it gradually. It will also slow down their growth and probably change up the flavor of the meat. Do you plan to supplement other pellet feed or grains?

The young born to a doe already accustomed to this style of eating will not need to change over gradually. They will have the nutrients in the milk and begin nibbling on some if mom's food. I don't think it would work well to go back and forth on feeding styles. I would think you need to pick and stick with one or the other.

I feed alfalfa pellet feed at 16% protein and supplement in grass hay each night. I also use BOSS and Calf Mana as a supplement.
    My herd gets a few pickings of red clover and rose blooms when in season just as a treat.

alsea1, mysunwolf and promiseacres like this.
  3. Dec 31, 2017
    Bossroo

Bossroo True BYH Addict

The question is WHY ? Pasture raising is very inefficient and will cost more to raise them to slaughter waight in terms of rate of gain, time and labor. Also, there is a huge increase risk of getting all mannor of pathogens increasing the chances of illness and mortality.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    Pastor Dave likes this.
  4. Dec 31, 2017
    Tale of Tails Rabbitry

Tale of Tails Rabbitry Exploring the pasture

I begin giving my bunnies a few greens as soon as they are interested in eating them, usually around 3 to 4 weeks they start trying to get nibbles when I feed their mother some greens. Organic cilantro seems to be a favorite first green and it really is not much more than a taste the first few weeks. However, a steady supply of greens we do not do; greens remain the smallest portion of their diet.

I am in agreement with Bossroo about the parasite and bacteria issues that come from having rabbits on the ground. I will not even consider buying from other breeders unless they keep their rabbits off the ground.

5. Dec 31, 2017
    DutchBunny03

DutchBunny03 Loving the herd life

The moisture content of green food can wreak havoc on the digestive system of young rabbits if they have been fed only dry food all their lives. If you are going to give kits greens, introduce it to them as soon as they can chew. Otherwise, wait until their digestive systems are more developed.

mysunwolf and promiseacres like this.
  6. Jan 4, 2018
    alsea1

alsea1 True BYH Addict

Rabbits can indeed be tricky. The digestive system is so easily upset at weaning time.
    I have thought about trying to raise them in a colony setting but still have mine in cages. I would rather see them frolicking about but am still on the fence about it.