Confused about goat testing

archerobx

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I was reading about how to pasteurize the milk, and came across article about testing my goats for CAE, CL, Johnes, Brucellosis and TB.

The more I looked and read the more I found people were for or against it.
I was wondering if I should test them because I only had them for 5 months and they are new to me.

Can I get yalls thoughts ?
Thank you

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I always test for CAE and CL and just recently started doing Johnes. When I get the dairy done I have to add TB and Brucellosis but if you are pasteurizing the milk then you don't need to worry about those as much.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
I test annually for CAE and Johnnes but not for CL
Dairies are required to test for TB and Brucellios but I think most non dairies don't
You are required to test for TB and Brucelliosis if you show at ADGA nationals or if you ship animals to certain states

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
You will need to wait a few months. The earliest they like to test for CAE is 6 months... but 8 months is better.

Johnes if by serum they say 18 months

CL generally 6 months is when most will... that one I am not sure if there is an actual age set.

We test for CAE, Johnes, CL

We buy from tested herds, unfortunately many do not test for all 3. When we bring in a goat it goes into quarantine for 30-60 days. We draw blood send it out and test the animal for all 3. Of course this only applies if they are 6 months or older. We prefer the 8 month range and we do include the Johnes anyway even though they are officially too young.

We don't buy goats as babies from herds that do not test for all 3.
We also try not to buy from herds that cycle in and out animals constantly.

For goats new to our herd that are adults we get a copy of the test paperwork. If it is a herd new to testing then we repeat the CAE before breeding the doe and just before kidding.

1 test, 1 time is only a start so to speak. Understanding how the testing works, cut off #'s, titers etc is all important... the point is testing yearly (whole herd) gives you a better idea of where your herd is.

If you have tested negative for 4, 5, or so, consecutive years and no goats added in ( closed herd) and you do not ever take your goats off your property than you at least can feel pretty confident that your goats are free of these diseases.
That was also a great run on sentence. :lol:

You will greatly benefit from testing. We test all goats, registered and unregistered. We want the same standard of health and care for all our goats.

We draw our own blood and send it in to our state lab... they do have to send out the CL test to UC Davis so we pay an out of state fee for CL @ $14.50 test. ( that is our costliest test) But the CAE is $1.50 and Johnes is $1.50. Out of state pays $3 for each of those test.

IMO no excuse not to test. Often it is finding a vet in your region that will charge a reasonable price to draw the blood if you can't do it yourself. Many vets will come out and teach you so that you can do those routine test yourself.

archerobx

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thank y'all for your input.
The wethered goat is approx 11-12 months old
Doe is 1 year maybe 14 months and her kid is 9 days

Next questions:
Should I not drink milk until I get lab results ?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do you pasteurize? If not you could home pasteurize on your stovetop.

CL is zoonotic as well as Johnes.
CAE is not.

Pasteurization does not kill MAP disease (Johnes). Milk must actually be boiled to kill MAP disease. Your milk will be gross if you boil it.

Johnes has been a cattle disease for a long time but affects all ruminants. If your goats were not on cattle land or in with cattle you have a lesser chance of having Johnes.

Many do no testing and drink raw milk and have no issues... it is your choice. There is a long list of zoonotic diseases that can be acquired through raw milk so if you or you family does have a suppressed immune system, very young children and the elderly are at the highest risk. Pasteurizing is a personal decision and it is your choice. Just be educated about it and not base it on what granny did. The bacteria like E-coli are not the same strains of generations ago.

I am a little more conscious of these things because we have family with short gut syndrome and history of intestinal bacterial infections. I also have a thing for disease... especially zoonotic ones.. and am fascinated with prions.

I'm a geek and a germaphobe. ;)

archerobx

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I plan on pasteurizing.

I currently am doing nothing, I'm a newb

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
It sounds like you have a nice little herd there!:)
Welcome to the wonderful world of goats.
They are quite addictive. No joke. Like seriously addicting. We have a whole thread on Goat addicts!:lol:

Just one question... where are the pics? We need pics. It is the rule. :plbb

archerobx

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I'm an animalholic .
I called a friend and he said he had connections for meat goats.

Where do I post photos?

Thank you