Confusing situation

WyndSyrin

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Was wondering if this was normal for a cow: Has a calf about a month ago. Calf is perfectly healthy as far as I can see and tell. Every so often when checking on the cows and calves I will find this calf alone in one part of the field and the mother on the other side of the pasture. Same thing happened this morning. calf was in one part of the field and momma was tucked under the trees with the rest of the herd. This is her 3rd calf. I was not around when she had her other two, but they are both living. Any thoughts?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
How big is the field? Is there adequate fencing to keep the calf in? Adventurous/independent calf? As long as the calf is eating and healthy/happy, momma must be taking care of it, right? Is the calf in any danger from predation being separated from momma?

WyndSyrin

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
It is 140 acres with enough fencing to keep every one in. It's possible that he is an independent calf. Momma has raised other calves and they are fine. We have 2 of her kids on the farm. and unless the local coyote population is stupid he is in no real danger

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Calves, even that age will generally stay wherever momma puts them.
I see this same kind of thing all the time..calves on one end of the pasture and momma laid down chewing cud on the other end of the place.
Unless the calf isn't nursing, I wouldn't be very concerned at all.

Latest posts