1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Meet Pearl, New Horse - Discussion thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Connemara ponies.

Discussion in 'Breeds & Breeding - Horses, Mules, and Donkeys' started by Debby, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Jan 31, 2014
    Debby

Debby Chillin' with the herd

"BP" is my 15 hh, 16 year old, Connemara mare.

DSC_0327_copy.jpg

I've had her since she was two and I'm very proud that I managed to train her myself. (Mistakes and all!)

BP 026-001.jpg

100_2895.JPG

I've only had this one, but I would recommend a Connemara for anyone who wants a quiet, reliable horse to play with. They make great kid mounts and are safe. I would not say that they are very fancy or refined, or even very athletic. If you want to show in a specific discipline, there are better breeds for each. But I have had a huge amount of fun with this mare.

Last year I bred her to a Dutch Warm Blood named C Waterford.

IMG_6942b.jpg

She is due in April and I'm beyond wildly excited. I'll keep this thread updated with the developments.

2. Feb 1, 2014
    Jake

Jake Chillin' with the herd

She is a beauty !!!

The Connemara is one of my very favorite breeds, an absolutely great trail horse/pony. The only others as nice(to me) are the Icelandic and a well bred saddle mule.

I would love to find a Connemara filly, or mare.

taylorm17 likes this.
  3. Feb 1, 2014
    Pioneer Chicken

Pioneer Chicken True BYH Addict

She's pretty! Has she ever foaled before? That is exciting she's due in April!! Also, is your dog an Aussie? S/ he looks like my Aussie, Sally. : )

taylorm17 likes this.
  4. Feb 1, 2014
    Debby

Thank you, Jake. They are pretty level headed animals and she is great on the trail.

Pionneer, she is a maiden mare. And my dog is an Aussie. You're right on.

taylorm17 likes this.
  5. Feb 2, 2014
    taylorm17

taylorm17 Loving the herd life

:pop:weeeShe is very pretty! I will definitely keep updated on this thread. I love kidding and foaling threads! yeah. :weee:pop

6. Feb 2, 2014
    Debby

Thank you, Taylorm17

taylorm17 likes this.
  7. Feb 2, 2014
    taylorm17

No problem. I also love the warmblood she is breed to .

8. Apr 13, 2014
    poundinghooves

poundinghooves Exploring the pasture

She's gorgeous... so stocky! :)

9. Apr 20, 2014
    Debby

HAPPY EASTER! And a gorgeous day it is. The sun is shining and the air is warm. My family will gather for lunch and that procrastinating mare is perfectly happy with the situation.

IMG_2244.JPG

She is now officially overdue by two weeks. If the juices of Spring are urging her to contribute to Earth’s glorious annual rebirth, she shows no signs of it. No milk, no edema, no softening tail head muscles, no change in the position of the foal. She likes being pregnant. For the first time in her life, she can eat all day and no one stops her.

IMG_2245-001.JPG

Even a plan like today’s lunch doesn’t tempt her. Normally a chance in interrupt a schedule or ruin an event is a hard thing for a horse to resist.

I'm told that gestation is so variable in a horse that an actual due date is meaningless. If the mare had foaled before, you can rely fairly well on her previous behavior, but BP is a maiden mare, so who knows what she will do? There are plenty of accounts of mares foaling up to 375 or even 380 days without problems.

So there is no reason to be unhappy on this spectacular day. The birds are frantically nesting. The grass is growing like its on the Emerald Isle. The gentle breeze is lapping through the very first fat buds as the awakening trees. Heaven!

kdogg331, casportpony and Ferguson K like this.
  10. Apr 20, 2014
    taylorm17

Yes, goats are like that too, they decide to drop at the worst time, like the coldest or hottest day of the year, or a terrible storm, or a huge party or something not fun for you, also at 2 in the morning is good as well. Just think how awkward it would be if she would have just had a baby right when every sat down to eat on Easter Day :) Well let us know what happens and definitely we will need pictures of the baby! :) She is looking good though and I'm sure she is really taking advantage of the non stop eating deal ;) Good luck and hoping for a nice easy birth and a very healthy baby! Happy Easter :)