Considering a Pony

skeleroo

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I’ve kept horses before but it’s been maybe 20 plus years, but my husband and I recently started talking about getting a pony. We have six+ acres with three cows on it in central Florida.

Is keeping a pony a lot different than keeping a horse? Can I turn them out and just stall them at night? I feel like whenever I look up keeping a pony people are concerned about weight gain and don’t seem to let them have full access to pasture. Is this the case?

Pretty much I’m just wondering what the basics are for keeping ponies. TIA

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
The biggest concern for most ponies is founder. So many of them just can't handle being on the kind of pasture that is needed to keep a horse - and often times a cow - in good condition.
If you JUST want the beauty of an equine in the pasture, maybe consider rescuing a horse?

It's been years since I've had horses but if I remember right, equines in general will require: teeth being checked/floated 1x yearly, worming at LEAST 2x yearly, hooves trimmed every 6-8weeks. Some get along well with cows, some can be a bit of a bully. They have both sets of front incisors, so can nip the grass off right at the ground, which might become a problem with your cows and the way they have to grab longer grass with their tongues?

skeleroo

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
The biggest concern for most ponies is founder. So many of them just can't handle being on the kind of pasture that is needed to keep a horse - and often times a cow - in good condition.
If you JUST want the beauty of an equine in the pasture, maybe consider rescuing a horse?

It's been years since I've had horses but if I remember right, equines in general will require: teeth being checked/floated 1x yearly, worming at LEAST 2x yearly, hooves trimmed every 6-8weeks. Some get along well with cows, some can be a bit of a bully. They have both sets of front incisors, so can nip the grass off right at the ground, which might become a problem with your cows and the way they have to grab longer grass with their tongues?
We have a two year old and my father insists that starting off with a pony is better, even though I was raised with horses.

He has a friend who owns a polo barn and every once in a while they retire very kid friendly ponies, which is really the only reason we were considering a pony.

Youngfarmer2019

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We have a two year old and my father insists that starting off with a pony is better, even though I was raised with horses.

He has a friend who owns a polo barn and every once in a while they retire very kid friendly ponies, which is really the only reason we were considering a pony.
I’ve found horses to be much gentler than ponies, every pony I’ve met has been grumpy or sassy, maybe just my experience🤷‍♀️could be the way they were raised. My suggestion get what you think is best but DEFINITELY look into their background, ask about previous owners, how they were treated, etc.

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've always said - DO NOT start a child on a pony. Start them on a gentle horse. Let them learn the basics - how to stop, go, turn... Then, if they are really interested in keeping going, get them a large pony - something they can totally get on & off of on their own, something they can reach all the parts to groom on their own.... something that makes smaller messes so they can clean their own stalls...

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score

When you say 'pony' do you mean a retired polo 'pony' or a 3'tall shaggy pogo stick?
(no offense to the pony lovers.. I love itty bitty ponies..)

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Often a second hand pony -- outgrown, so sold, due to no interest -- can be an issue if the children were NOT taught to handle, care for and love it. Just getting a small animal isn't good UNLESS the child is wanting and instructed to treat and handle the horse well. With love, understanding and appropriate training for both.

It can be beautiful, if properly done.☺️

skeleroo

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
When you say 'pony' do you mean a retired polo 'pony' or a 3'tall shaggy pogo stick?
(no offense to the pony lovers.. I love itty bitty ponies..)
I’m talking retired polo ponies. Very well trained. Sometimes they retire ponies with a personality meant for kids and sell them as a child’s pony.

skeleroo

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Often a second hand pony -- outgrown, so sold, due to no interest -- can be an issue if the children were NOT taught to handle, care for and love it. Just getting a small animal isn't good UNLESS the child is wanting and instructed to treat and handle the horse well. With love, understanding and appropriate training for both.

It can be beautiful, if properly done.☺️
Of course. I’d never get an animal that wasn’t going to be cared for.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh, not saying YOU would, only why some "ponies" can become ornery....kids untrained, not handling well, can make for a less desirable pony personality. 😊

Latest posts