Considering Finnsheep - anyone have an opinion

parjackson

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
DH and I are going to look at some Finnsheep this afternoon. Our goal is 2-3 ewes/wethers for mowing and wool for hand spinning. We like the fact that they are naturally polled and don't require tail docking, plus they are on the small side. Does anyone out there have any experience/knowledge/advice about this breed?

parjackson

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks for responding, anyway! I went ahead and bought two. One for a pet (she's too small to be bred) and the other for possible breeding in the future. They will be arriving on Thursday evening and I am very excited!

big brown horse

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Congradulations! Do you have photos yet? I would love to see them! I never regretted getting my two sheep.

Have fun! :D

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Aren't they the breed known for multiple births...like 3-4 lambs each time? I've read they are great sheep for a homestead situation and good mothers.

parjackson

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Yes, they are known for multiples. They have beautiful wool for handspinning, too.

Here's the website (I hope the link works!) My girls are at the very bottom right side of the page (Thumbelina and the one right above her, ET#109)

The best part is that the breeder is only about 20 minutes from my house and she has promised all kinds of help if we need it (Thumbelina was her "baby", so she wants to keep tabs on her :))

http://www.eldoradofinns.com/LAMBS.html

Tell me what you think!

parjackson

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thank you! I am so excited. Now I just have to get through the next 31 hours! :D:D:D

username taken

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
highly fertile, and highly fecund.

yes, you will have big litters, and I dont mean just 3 - 4. 5 and 6 is common also. The most I ever had was 7.

parjackson

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Seven?!!! Oh my goodness! Maybe we won't breed the white one when she's old enough...two is a nice number. :lol:

11 more hours! keeping busy all day (which is not hard for me to do - 5 children age 6 and under)

Latest posts