considering getting goats

chickens454

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
some places is says it does others say it dosent. I don't want to have to worry about pineneedles.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
We cut pine limbs for our goats.
I believe it is the Ponderosa pine that is toxic.
Ours also eat acorns- high in tannins that help with parasite control... too much isn't good though. Our goats have never had an issue self regulating.

chickens454

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
ok, good cause our yard had lots of pine trees.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Goats can easily kill trees. They love the bark and will eat away at it til it kills them. Some goats are more attracted than others. Fence off or wrap trees you don't want eaten.

chickens454

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
what fencing would you guys suggest? I was thinking a wooden frame and then wire wrapped around it but what wire is best?

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
:lol:
what wire have you used that has failed so I can not make the same mistake?
well...the pallet and trash wall we made in the barn (walls off one third of the barn, rest is storage and place for them to loaf during the day) does keep them safe at night.

During the day we tried a pallet fence, an electric rope (5 strand) fence, chicken wire fence, and a 1x2 inch welded wire fence.

At this point they stay on the property. .. we fuss at them when they go to the neighbors. .. :hu for some reason they have been very good about stating around the house. As I said we do lock them up at night... but they are free during the day. We gave up.