Constipated lamb?

Shepherdess219

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
So my almost 4 week old lamb is having some issues. I’ll try to readers digest this.

Firstly about 2 weeks into feeding she comes down with really bad mastitis on one side. So she gets the antibiotics, milking, massage. Metacam treatment. I start supplementing lambs. You’re never sure how much they are getting so I usually just let them self feed.

So 2 are doing great on the bottle. Ones not too keen, but I figure she’s getting enough from mom. I notice she’s getting a bit of diarrhea, super smelly. Dark, not bloody, not watery just soft. Figure she’s just getting too much. Goes on for a couple of days, So I give her a dose of Pepto. She’s peeing and stretching. But making grunting noises when pooing.

5 days later still runny bum, not tons though. Just wee bits of
Take her temp, 103.8. Not super high. It’s 11:00, so will check in the am. Back down to 103. So normal. She’s not happy about the temperature taking.

So today I notice that she’s grunting again. Have a good look and it’s kinda like she’s bulging back there and cries when you touch her. So now I’m thinking constipated. She is taking some milk from me (6 oz twice a day) this amount has been going down for a few days.

Did a little enema and then followed her around the field. I believe squirted out a tube of a little soft and slightly mucousy. Gave her a dose of milk of magnesia.

This am she takes her full 6 ozs. Still soft poo coming out. When she lays down she’s straining. She’s a girl, it’s like she’s pushing to brith.

Will get her cleaned up this morning, but thoughts? More milk of magnesia?

I’m general she’s playing, eating, drinking, peeing and chewing cud.

Shepherdess219

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Sorry for such a long post. Update today. I’ve done milk of magnesia just once a day foe the past couple of days and she’s taking 11 oz now without pause. The bulge is still there at her bum, so now I’m wondering if she doesn’t have some kind of hernia. I guess I’ll just ride it out and see what happens. She’s a market lamb, so a $600+ surgery isn’t an option.
I’ll keep posting updates in case someone has something similar in the future.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
For me, when I have intestinal discomfort, I take apple cider vinegar and honey, mixed half and half, in a small glass of water. It kills the bad bacteria that causes diarrhea and leaves the beneficial gut bacteria alone. I have given it to my animals, either by drench or top dressing their feed. I've never had my sheep have coccidia, so if that is what is wrong with your lamb, I don't know the treatment.

If your lamb has a hernia, I get it about a big vet bill for a sheep that isn't worth the treatment cost. It's one of the tough farming facts of life.

I hope you can get her well.

Shepherdess219

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks baymule. That sounds like a great alternative to use. I have bees so I can use farm honey. So let’s say for a 20lb lamb. What would your measurements be and how much do you drench?