Coop for runner ducks

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Runner ducks are hysterically funny. A bowling pin on legs with a long neck and they can run fast. When they see something new, it is periscope up, they stretch their heads up, look it over, then periscope down while they discuss it.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
You let your goats eat cracked corn and chicken feed? I’m only asking because I’ve been blasted on thegoatspot for let my goats near the duck feed..and this is how the trowith the goat issue started...they are very strict on there and get me very worked up...sorry to change subjects...back to ducks! :)

I dont like that site either most seem rude and bossy.

In other news our geese, chickens, ducks, pigs, sheep and goats all eat the same feed. We feed everything premium chop and shell corn. The ducks/geese mostly go after the shell corn and the chickens like the chop(its powdery). The pigs get mostly chop and the sheep/goats get 50/50. We do also offer appropriate supplements like loose minerals for the goat/sheep, oyster shells for the chickens, etc. Our goats also get yearly copper bolus. Everyone also has 24/7 access to hay.

The problem isnt that they eat chicken feed the problems always come when they gorge on any grain then bloat.

Some people say it's because chicken feed contains meat products which is toxic to ruminants. To be blunt that's BS, I dont know of any local mills putting meat products into chicken feed. Even if meat products were in chicken feed hello we fed meat products to cows for decades and they were not just dropping dead after the first meal. To be fair that is how mad cow disease was spread but you live you learn I guess.

The short answer, pretty sure they can eat chicken feed but in small amounts as with most any grain.

Last edited:

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Also on the duck housing....our ducks just go wherever they want. The woodpile, the barn, the garden, etc. They dont seem to have an issue or care. I've seen many people use dog houses, or those plastic dog igloos, built tiny little A-frames, all different things. In all of those cases the ducks only use the house to lay and hide during bad weather but eat and drink outside.