frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Many, many reasons for copper deficiency in goats. In some instances they can eat copper all day long and if they don't absorb it - it's doing no good.

"Copper deficiency can be the result of low levels of the mineral in the soil and in forages raised on the soil; this is primary copper deficiency. However, both the feed and the soil can have adequate copper but its absorption can be interfered with by minerals known as copper antagonists: lead, iron, manganese, various sulfates, cadmium, and molybdenum. This is secondary copper deficiency."

Last edited:

SayYesToGoats

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Yes I know this and it's true. However sometimes there is too much of something in the mineral and they wont eat enough copper because it is too high in something like salt.(not saying this is it or that your mineral is too high in salt) I have a lot of iron, manganese and copper on my land. As well as high selenium levels in my area.(However my goats are not grazing at all right now) The only real way to tell for sure what mineral they need is to do a test. That's why I would just somethings and see how it goes, if no improvement then try something else. I have had a lot of luck with the mineral/feeding I use but that could just work for my herd. It good to make sure you have a well balanced goat mineral so that they get all they need.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Since you brought up testing - have you had a fecal run on your goats? Do you treat for parasites and/or coccidia? Rough coats on a goat can be a symptom of a parasite issue. Not trying to hurt your feelings but I do see some rough coats and extended bellies on your little ones. I wonder if you're dealing with several issues?

They're really cute. I hope the turn around for you - good luck with them!

SayYesToGoats

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
They might have hay belly.(That's what it look like to me) Did you worm them or just give them a cocci prevention/treatment? But you did say that their FAMACHA score was good. Just the wether was lighter. So that may not be it.

SayYesToGoats

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Yes hay belly is for dairy as well but guess I'm not fully sure if it is hay belly. I thought that's when they have a high parasite load. Yours don't though so I don't think it's that then.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hello again! All opinions needed!

I just wanted to have a second opinion, before I Copper Bolus (going to use Copasure for goat kids). My goats are showing slight faded coats, I am almost positive, and I even compared it to older pictures.
Just trying to do what's best for my little goats <3
Also, thanks for everyone's advice! I am glad that there are seasoned goat raisers who can help others, by sharing information
If in doubt and you haven't already, bolus. Kids under 50 lbs and over 25 get the kid boluses.

Manna pro is not a great mineral. Look for Purina, sweet lix, or Premier1 's mineral premix. Offer free choice.

Good job on getting a fecal. Otherwise I'd wonder if they had worms or coccidia. Kids sometimes get tapes, but you covered your bases. I'd learn to check their famachas and do 5 point checks too.

If they still look bad, maybe look at the quality of the forage you are offering and make sure it is enough to support their growth. Very little you can do can make up for poor forage quality.

Good luck and happy goating.

Last edited: