Copper...Does this look like a fishtail?

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
I took a pic of one of my does' tails this morning. I'm trying to figure out if you think she looks copper deficient. Input appreciated!

Also, does anyone have experience using flax as a copper supplement instead of the bolus?

Attachments

• IMG_9529.JPG
    IMG_9529.JPG
    212.1 KB · Views: 315

rosti

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It could be, but I don't rely on fishtail as an indicator of copper deficiency, since most of mine don't show it, and balding tail tips can also be caused by other conditions.
It looks like your doe is black-how does her coat look, particularly on the belly and hind legs? If it has a rusty tinge or is starting to turn really brown, she needs copper.
I have no experience giving flax for copper-I imagine you'd have to give a ton to make a difference after an animal is showing signs of deficiency. If she were on flax every day it might work, but I don't know.

rosti

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
For example, this doeling needs copper pretty badly, but does not have a fishtail.

IMG_2858.jpg

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
IMG_8149.JPG
Her color is actually really good. I was just curious if her tail would be considered a fish tail. I'll attach a pic of her.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Several vets on the AASRP at the ADGA Convention said the same thing-no link between fishtail and copper.
Yeah but thing is some of those same vets say never to deworm a tapeworm goat-"no need"...
Or Kids can't have coccidia at this time of year (January)
No vet has it right all the time and opinions and treatments change as research and info changes
who knows... it has always been said of this and often fishtail goes away after copper ... but there are other deficiencies that can cause fishtail...
the red color is also not always an indicator it can be from binding of iron in high iron well water...
I would look at the whole goat.