Copper in diet

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I am thinking that Goldie my nubian may be copper deficient.
She has the poor hair coat.
Anemic despite recent worming
No weight gain despite being fed well.
I am going to give her copper bolus.
Can anyone tell me how long it takes for this treatment to improve the goat.
Approximately.
I am going to give Goldie one more shot at being my milk goat.

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I am waiting for the copper bolus to arrive.
In meantime I got some power punch for her.
I gave her an ounce of that and 5ml of vit. b complex.
This morning she was more int in eating.
LOL, so much for not molly cottling her.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I saw your post the other day but didn't really have an answer. Friends I know that are in other counties that are copper deficient have given the copper. I think it takes some time to see results, if I recall correctly several months.
It might be advantageous to do a blood draw and have a mineral analysis done. Expect to pay around $35 but it will give you good data and a good place to target possible deficiencies. I find you save $$$ by having the data, it takes the guesswork out of it. :)

Molly coytling... nah.... that's just a "well it won't hurt to just try this first"... ;)

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
yEAH. i HATE GIVING UP.
If its just a maint. thing then thats fine. She just may be more sensitive than the others.
Although now that I'm thinking about it growth rates have been a bit crummy compared to the sheep. So I'm really thinking copper def.
I provide loose mineral but have noted they don't appear to eat much of it.
So I will try this on everyone.
Blood draw would be good idea. May do that just to see whats up.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
It can take several months to see results using copper oxide wire particles (copasure).

I agree with Southern...you might want to have a mineral analysis done. Toxicity can mimic deficiency and then you'd be giving even more copper where it's already a problem.

Remember that they get copper from the browse they eat, hay, grain and supplements that you give...it all must be added up to figure out how much copper they are getting, a daunting task indeed. A mineral analysis is the easier way to go.

goatboy1973

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I use the Copasure copper capsules. It took about 3 weeks for my goats to have a shiny hair coat and a noticeable weight gain. The insert info said to administer every 6 months. All a person needs to do is call their local Ag Extension office and ask about their copper levels in their area.

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Good idea goatboy. I will do that. I have been looking for info regarding the pacific northwest area regarding selenium and copper and such. The ag guy should be able to tell me whats up real quick. Duh. Shoulda thought about that ages ago. Thank you.

goatboy1973

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Good idea goatboy. I will do that. I have been looking for info regarding the pacific northwest area regarding selenium and copper and such. The ag guy should be able to tell me whats up real quick. Duh. Shoulda thought about that ages ago. Thank you.

Alsea1, glad I could be of assistance. I find that the local Ag Extension office is a great wealth of knowledge and if often not used as much as it should. It is funded by tax $$$ that we all pay and most all their services are pretty much Free. :)

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I checked that out Southern.
Thats a cool website. Now I just need to learn how to use those stats.
I think I may have to take my goat to the vet and find out just what excactly is going on in her body.
She may have a problem I cannot fix on my own. We noted today that she turns her head oddly. So now I'm thinking that for whatever reason her rumen is off and not making b vits. LOL Without bloodwork and a vet its all a big guessing game. I was hoping to bring her thru this without costing hundreds of dollars. LOL