Corn as supplement - are my pigs getting enough?

MikahMom

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have two 6 month old gilts and an 8 month old boar -- I have been feeding them combination two lbs of pig grower feed and 2 lbs of chops twice a day -- is that enough or should I up the grower feed?

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Depends on what you're trying to do. Are you growing them for meat? If so, you should feed them about twice that much. If you're going to breed them, I'd increase their ration by about 50%. 6 - 7 lbs per day is good enough to grow them for breeding, but it takes more to grow them quickly for meat purposes.

MikahMom

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
jhm47 said:
Depends on what you're trying to do. Are you growing them for meat? If so, you should feed them about twice that much. If you're going to breed them, I'd increase their ration by about 50%. 6 - 7 lbs per day is good enough to grow them for breeding, but it takes more to grow them quickly for meat purposes.
Thanks, I was thinking I may have been shorting on the feed LOL I am planning on using these three for breeding purposes :)

Now as I understand it, and pls correct me if I'm wrong, but I read that once they are full grown you can cut back on the feed unless the gilt is breeding ...

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yes, when they are gestating and full grown, you may cut them back a lot on feed. A really fat sow is not good. However, you must walk the fine line between too little and too much. A really hungry hog is a very dangerous hog. I once fed a group of sows for a neighbor who was (in my opinion) underfeeding them. When I approached the pen with their daily feed, I was afraid that they would break out and attack me. These sows would attack any chicken, cat, or anything else that entered their pen. NOT a good situation.