1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Update on our 4 piggies - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Corn Cob Pipes

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by HomesteaderWife, Sep 21, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Sep 21, 2015
    HomesteaderWife

HomesteaderWife True BYH Addict

I finally was brave enough to attempt making a corn cob pipe today for my husband, and it was a very interesting project. I didn't research any how-tos, I just kind of went on a mental picture. I messed up the first one, but succeeded at the second one.

I first shucked all the corn off of my cob (saving them for seed next year). Then I cut the cob into four pieces, and separated one of the pieces to use. A smaller ear of corn you could probably cut in half, but this was a very large ear so I cut it into fourths. I drilled a hole almost all the way through the center of it, leaving the bottom still whole. Then I drilled a hole towards the bottom, on one of the sides, to connect the stem. For the stem/mouthpiece I went out and found a really tiny piece of a oak branch and drilled a small hole through it, then sanded it down. I tapped it into the hole on the side with a hammer (this is what broke the first one I made, because I did it too roughly and it cracked it).

I finally tested it out, with a bit of pipe tobacco my husband had, and it ACTUALLY WORKED! I was so surprised, as was he. It isn't pretty, but it works. Has anyone else here made a corn cob pipe, or even one from wood?

Attached Files:

heckerdy likes this.