1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Baymule’s 4th Lambing. - Discussion thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Corner Posts Bracing Wire

Discussion in 'Fencing, Housing, Manure Management' started by meloout831, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Nov 29, 2018
    meloout831

meloout831 Chillin' with the herd

Hi, guys... Need your expertise: I have a corner post with an H on each side. Can I do an X with wire on each H brace to make the corner post stable? To add, a gate will be next to the corner post (but not hanging on it - there will be an enclosure on the other side of fence). I'd like to make sure the post lasts for years.

Thanks.

2. Nov 29, 2018
    greybeard

greybeard Herd Master Golden Herd Member

You can, but you really only 'need' the X on the side where the gate is hinged. The latch side will work fine with just a diagonal wire but if you feel better with a full X there too, then by all means, make it 2 xs

You want the posts and the fence to last for decades, not just 'years'.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    meloout831 likes this.
  3. Nov 30, 2018
    meloout831

meloout831 Chillin' with the herd

Hey, greybeard... good to see you. Thanks for the advice. Always loved this forum. Nice people here...

4. Nov 30, 2018
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master Golden Herd Member

5. Dec 1, 2018
    greybeard

greybeard Herd Master Golden Herd Member

If you want it to last, and hold....No matter what wire you use,....... stretch it TIGHT!!!
    You don't want to look down the fence at the top and see any 'wavvvy' in it when you are done.
    This is especially true with high tensile fence. I have seen lots of folks put up HT field fence, then negate all the advancements and technology that has come about in the last 50 years by not pulling the HT tight.

Even tho this fence is going down hill, then levelling out at the bottom, it is TIGHT!.
    (no..not my fence)
    tight.jpg

This fence is not tight and the tpost ties need to be removed and the fence pulled tight, preferably by cutting it in the middle of the run and doing a gut stretch with a good set of fence pullers.
    (Not my fence either)
    nottight.jpg

CntryBoy777 likes this.