Coronavirus Covid-19 Is it Affecting You and How?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
My county has finally gone on a shelter at home order at midnight tonight through April 10. About time, there are 27 cases here. We are hunkered down and not going anywhere.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have heard that the malaria drug combined with Z-packs will cure the virus. Also, the percentage of deaths is probably not as high as is being reported in the press. Right now it is around 1% of total cases in the USA with very few people actually tested. Hopefully as the number of people tested goes higher, the ratio of number of deaths will drop. The media hype about the US now having more cases than a lot of the hard hit places in Europe is silly. Of course we have lots of cases, we have lots of people. You could fit all of Europe inside part of the US and have lots of room left over for other countries!!! The outbreak in New Orleans has been traced to the Mardi Gras celebration which is attended by tons of tourists from all over. The upsurge in Chinese cases stemmed from the Chinese New Year celebrations in Wouhan that the Chinese allowed to go on with no quarantines, and then many of those people left the country to return to jobs and families outside China. Italy's massive outbreak relates to the number of Chinese workers in that country who returned to Italy after the Chinese New Year. Cruises are very popular with Asians, and the crew members come from all over the world. With the contained spaces on the cruise ships, it is no wonder the cruise ship passengers and crews get the virus. Time to calm down and take a hard look at this situation,

My son and husband also heard that blood type has something to do with higher resistance. Type O+ had the highest resistance while Type A has the least. I wonder if anyone has thought to correlate the number of positive tests with few or less intense symptoms with the blood type. Not saying this is fact, but it would be interesting for scientists to check this out in future.

We have wondered if our family had Covid already since I was not feeling well when I got back from our cruise to Hawaii with the final day ashore in Mexico on February 12. When I returned home, I stayed in bed for over a week feeling exhausted and with a mild cough. (I didn't even unpack the suitcases!) Several days later DH, DS1, and future DIL all had high fevers of 103+ for 2 days and bad coughs for almost a week. DS2 coughed till I thought he would lose a lung! He also had to call in sick during his fever which is unheard of for him since taking a day off during his apprenticeship could men he loses his place in the program. LOL DH called the doctor and we were told we did not fit the symptoms. DS1 had a mild cough like mine, and nether DS1 nor I had fevers. We were all exhausted and exertion brought us out in a sweat. This all happened 2 weeks before the ship was quarantined off San Francisco.

DS1 and I have O+ blood which would account for us having milder symptoms if the blood type resistance to Covid is true. DH and DS2 have B+. We know our blood types because DH, DS1 and DS2 routinely give blood and our Grandson did a science paper on blood types in families.

We don't want to ask for testing, figuring we should leave the test kits for those who are currently sick. When they eventually develop the other test using a drop of blood, or a test to see if you have had it, we may ask to be tested. Another doctor has found that blood with antibodies can be a cure for desperately sick Covid sufferers. He is looking for Covid survivors to donate blood for this new study.

Did you hear that NY Governor Cuomo has been screaming that he needs 30,000 ventilators from Trump just for his state? (I guess Trump is hiding them in his closet?) Now it has come out that Cuomo apparently has 5,000 ventilators stocked away in storage and has refused to pass them around to the hospitals since he says he has to "save them for when the pandemic hits its apex"! ???

Frankly I don't believe most of the media reports. Has anyone noticed how desperate the newscasters sound that they can't report people dropping died in the streets from this epidemic?

I have pretty much stopped watching or reading about this anymore. Most of the reporting is so repetitive!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Coronavirus cases continue to rise in the U.S. (David Foster/Yahoo Finance)

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Soak it in bleach for at least 10 minutes. It takes 10 minutes in bleach to kill the germs. Then use soap and hot water (NOT boiling) to wash off the bleach. Then soak in alcohol for another 5 minutes. Should be germ free. Rinse in water before putting it in your mouth though! I used a rectal thermometer on my babies and used it for the rest of the family orally. Washing it with straight bleach, hot soapy water, and alcohol kills the germs.

DH went to get hay this am. On Saturday when they got 2 semi loads the hay store sold out by 10 am and he couldn't get any. Today they decided to put a limit of 10 bales per customer. :( People are starting to hoard hay now. I really wish he had listened 3 weeks ago when I told him to stock up. He poo pooed me since we still had some. Now we are getting low. DH may try going back for another 10 bales tomorrow.

I guess we are lucky we are down to feeding just the mule and the sheep. Otherwise, if we were full feeding now it would barely do us a week. God was good to send us these rains. We are getting enough growth that we are only feeding one hay feed at night. The February lambs are getting a creep so they will keep growing ok. I need to call my butcher today and see if he is open or if he closed due to this virus. I have 5 wethers that should be about ready and that would be 5 fewer mouths to feed.
Thanks a ton!! I hope I don’t NEED to do use it...but if I need a thermometer..now I know how to make mine safe!!:)

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
My hubby is making me wear a mask and gloves when we go somewhere or even if somebody comes to the farm. Ugh...buts better safe than sorry, I guess. Every deep breath that is sore...I worry...was it that way before? The mind plays tricks... but, we were forced to go to Walmart today..people are not practicing social distancing at all! We did...but others didn’t seem to care. .?

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have been staying home but we needed to head down to Ardmore, Alabama to pick up a load of feed. Our area is like a ghost town but Ardmore looked like business as normal The feed store was busy but they are the main player with bulk food.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We went to Lowes today, I wanted weed cloth to try in the garden. We tried to keep distance from other people, but they didn't seem to bother with it. Dang people! keep your germs to yourself! We lathered up with hand sanitizer when we got to the truck and changed clothes when we got home.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Went food shopping today and don't know what all the hoohaw has been about....milk and eggs aplenty in the stores, TP too. A few things missing from shelves but overall plenty of all the staples~bought flour, pasta and such. There wasn't anything on my list I couldn't find or get. Sam's Club had the most to offer of everything, most shelves fully stocked, HUGE packages of premium TP with a limit of one....but it's 45 jumbo rolls of TP, so the limit isn't a hardship.

They even had my fave cheap dog food restocked at Rural King....ordered 20 PWR str. run chicks from them today. They say they aren't taking special orders but the lady said she would ask if she could tag it onto their standing weekly order. Hope I get them so I can shove them under my first broody of the year...she's been waiting for a week plus for eggs or chicks.

Beautiful day here and folks out shopping and such....saw a few with masks, some with gloves but overall folks just acting like normal.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Va now has a declared stay at home order by the governor. Mostly because there are still too many DUMBA$$es going to the beaches while it was so nice over the weekend.... and out confirmed # of cases is over 1,000. Got a couple of farms not wanting to test for a couple of weeks they say.....

Status
Not open for further replies.