Coronavirus Covid-19 Is it Affecting You and How?

Status
Not open for further replies.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
So sorry. :hugs
We still just have 1 case in our county but not many tests have been available. It's only a matter of time before we all know someone.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you all for your support and prayers. I will suggest that to my FDIL about the priest being able to come if in mask and gown. However, because grandpa actually has Covid may be why no one is allowed in to see him. If he was just sick in the hospital it might be different although a lot of hospitals are not allowing any visitors anyway..

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
There Is one case in our tiny town of 1,500...so that’s it in the county. We wipe down groceries after buying them with wet wipes because we don’t know who touched them. I have people coming to get bunnies today. We are meeting them at the grocery store parking lot...bunnies in a box, ready for hand off. Masks, gloves are always on!! The only traveling we have done is to go to another close town, to farms...for animals or equipment. Still wear masks, gloves. Much distance...but it helps when you only see 1-2 people on a farm, unlike the 35 at the tiny store.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’m so sorry @Ridgetop that your FDIL’s grandpa is sick with Covid on top of his other health issues. How sad and devastating for everyone. I have sat with sick and dying family members more times than I care to count. For the family to be denied those final moments is heartbreaking. For grandpa to be denied the comfort of his family and the love around him, is devastating, for him and the whole family. It makes me grieve with you.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
:hit Sadly, FDIL got the news about her grandfather who is in the hospital ICU with Covid. He is 80 years old and had tuberculosis in his youth in the Philippines. He also has other scarring in his lungs from bouts of pneumonia and some fibrosis in the lungs too. The doctors have said that he is terminal, and can never breath again without a ventilator. Although he is on the ventilator now the doctor said he is in a great deal of pain just trying to breathe. The family can't even go to see him and the priest can't go to give him the last rites. Devastating news. He is a very sweet man and was looking forward to FDIL and DS2 getting married. It would have been the first wedding among FDIL's siblings and they were planning to have a baby right away. FDIL wanted her grandfather to be able to hold his first great grandchild. Our whole family is crushed by this news. Also the family can't go to the hospital to be with him as he dies. Normally we would all get together to pray with the family, now maybe not even be able to have the rosary or funeral mass. :hit

I am so sorry, what devastating news. I will be praying for comfort for your family. This separation during times of sickness is one of the hardest parts about this horrible disease. My nephew did not die from this but his memorial was to be today and we had to postpone it due to Covid. It is very hard not to have that closure.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you for your loving thoughts. That is the hardest thing. FDIL says Grandpa is sedated but regained consciousness and opened his eyes. So sad that he does not have the comfort of his daughter (FDIL's mom) to hold his hand. The nurses are wonderful but you ant your loved ones around you. When my own relatives were dying in hospice, they took comfort in us being there with them to pray and hold their hands. Knowing the ones you love are with you is very important to the dying. The thought of having to die alone is devastating. Even though you cannot go with them into the unknown your presence before they go can help. Their calm passing is also helpful for those grieving to see. My heart breaks for FDIL and her family.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
@farmerjan mentioned on her journal that Smithfield, a pork producer, has shut down. The workers were sick with Covid 19. There were articles on Yahoo News this morning about it, plus Cargil and Sanderson Farms and other meat packing companies that are having to cut back production because of not enough workers, who are sick. This would be a good time to add to your rabbits or chickens, or maybe get a feeder pig or two. Many of us have goats, sheep or cattle. Not all of us have room for bigger livestock, not all of us even want bigger livestock. It might be a good time to buy one ready to take to slaughter and fill the freezer. There are deals to be found on Craigslist, or at least right now there are. Once the meat counters are bare, the animals on Craigslist will be pure gold as people scramble to put food on the table.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Because we need a laugh...….

f229d8be-2b13-490e-9b55-455a4049feda-jpeg.35166

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
In my neck of the woods ranchers aren't taking their stock to auctions as the prices have dropped a lot and yet the meat packing plants are selling what they have for more...they are making the money so the ranchers are hanging on to the stock. I have a freezer full of beef from some we bought from a ranch last year but I could use some pork. The place I have to raise a pig bothers me as it would be too easy for someone to rustle the pigs. Crazy that I have to worry about that. I won't put the pig with the goats so that means no dogs with the pigs either. I know someone that raises pigs so I might ask them what they have for sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.