Coronavirus Covid-19 Is it Affecting You and How?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, I did say, "slightly decreased." It certainly isn't time to start celebrating yet, and with schools working on reopening, the fact that there were approximately 550 fewer North Carolinians testing positive during the first week of August than in the first week of July could vanish under an avalanche of new cases by the end of the month. But the rate of increase (or not) is one of the things they look at when it comes to deciding whether to impose or ease restrictions. We know that putting virtually every citizen under what is effectively house arrest stops the spread (it worked for China), but that is devastating to an economy and very hard on the people. We don't really want that, do we? They are trying to achieve a balance between protecting people and letting people get on with their lives, and masks are a part of that.

As someone pointed out, most people who get Covid-19 don't die; some never even know they've been infected. A lot who do show symptoms experience only mild ones. But for some, particularly for those with chronic health issues like smoking, obesity, diabetes, or simply having lived a long life, infection by SARS Cov-2 can mean weeks of struggling to breathe, and then weeks or months more spent just building up the strength to feel like a functional human being again. I don't know about the country as a whole, but well over half of the people living in North Carolina fall into one or more of the "at risk" groups, and just because you don't doesn't mean you can ignore this thing - there have been just enough young, as-far-as-anyone-could-tell-healthy people who have become seriously ill or even died to show that we all need to take it seriously.

So, for cryin' out loud, people. Wash your hands. Wear a mask. Maintain an awkwardly large personal space. You may be willing to risk your own life, but the lives you are protecting may not be your own!

They lost me when they said all the rioting was OK. Oh, that's right it was "peacful protesting", my bad.
It seems to me, that's what jump started the spread of the virus.

But, you go with what works for you. :thumbsup

Stay safe.

Last edited:

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
No, not too bad.
I slept through the earthquake this morning.
Only in NC do you have a hurricane and an earthquake in the same week.

Yeah, I almost asked about that. I saw that apparently a lot of folks in Charlotte felt it, and was thinking that Zebulon was probably close enough. 5.1 is a pretty good-sized jolt - reckon a lot of folks didn't need a second cup of coffee to wake them up after that!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
No jar lids or any canning supplies at Walmart. Don’t need them, but need to restock.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Many of my friends that can are having issues finding them. Smaller hardware stores seem to be the best. Amazon has inflated prices insanely.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Probably the biggest effect covid 19 has had on my family is my 16 year old daughter, and the craziness regarding schools.
We made a big decision.
She's never been the greatest student in the world, so since everything has been forced online we decided it would work best for her if we just withdrew her from school and let her enroll in the adult education program at the community colllege and get a GED. She's actually on pace to finish a year earlier than she would have high school, and can start at the same community college she's enrolled in for the GED.
She's also working 25 hours per week at a friend coffee shop/deli. It was just driving her crazy being at home all the time.

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sure were a lot more gardens & canning starts this year. Some may keep at it. Some may be people who got out of it, now back in.....like the chicks, chickens, freezers, Lysol and TP! Who knew?? For how long??

It's good to see, actually. Just a touch sudden! :D

@OneFineAcre I see that decision as a solid one. My grandaughter spnt a year in school for the need of one credit. I did that in my sr yr. Waste of time. Ahhh....DGD leaves for college this weekend.

Simpleterrier

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So our governor got covid tested first one came back positive the second one a quick test came back negative. They got the results at the same time.

You decide

Alot of people are pulling their kids and homeschooling.

We are

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Probably the biggest effect covid 19 has had on my family is my 16 year old daughter, and the craziness regarding schools.
We made a big decision.
She's never been the greatest student in the world, so since everything has been forced online we decided it would work best for her if we just withdrew her from school and let her enroll in the adult education program at the community colllege and get a GED. She's actually on pace to finish a year earlier than she would have high school, and can start at the same community college she's enrolled in for the GED.
She's also working 25 hours per week at a friend coffee shop/deli. It was just driving her crazy being at home all the time.
That sounds like a good working situation for you all. At that age, socialization is VERY MAJOR...... and if her school skills were not the best, maybe learning at her own pace is best. If she is that far ahead, then it means it was the right decision. Plus working, she is getting out, exposure to others and socializing in a controlled situation. Good for her doing so good. And good for you guys as parents in seeing a "silver lining" out of all this insanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts