Coronavirus Covid-19 Is it Affecting You and How?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Was it in Texas that I heard a nine-year-old was suspended for having a firearm on school property because the teacher saw he had a BB gun in his room?.
I hadn't heard that one. Dear Lord, PLEASE don't let stupid people like that move to TEXAS!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
There was nothing wrong with a student having a BB gun in his own room if the parents were aware of it. It is NOT the duty of the teacher to decide what is permissable in a child's room.... it is NOT a public school room. That is just one more example of the amount of control they want to have.. I'd love to have a "classroom setting" in a den that has antique rifles on the wall and a couple of gun safes tucked into the corners....just for conversation pieces... Frost a few ......

Seems like there are too many stupid people leaving Ca and other states and moving to states that they then go and change.... Va is getting more and more like that from all the dumbells that come to Wash DC and then buy out in the country and now have turned a red, ag state to a bunch of stupid blue know nothing anti everything sensible state...
There was a child whose teacher saw a TOY gun in the background.... and reported to a supervisor, said it was a toy gun.... it was like blue or pink or some way out color.....but that they needed to bring it to the parents attention.... got reported to "authorities".... caused all sorts of grief for the parents, everything....
I would not allow my child to be on a virtual camera for schoolwork if I was not present.... and would have it in a room where there was nothing in the background but bare wall..... there are several places that say the parents cannot be in the same room....???? NOT IN THIS LIFETIME.... I would be homeschooling my son if it were me. I think that I would have done it when mine was younger if I hadn't gotten divorced and had to work.... then moved here and would have rather had him here in school with the "country folks and rednecks in this area"... but he stayed with his father and it's long since past.... Schooling has changed so much, have friends in the school system, and the BS and paperwork they go through.... don't do near as much "teaching" as they used to... Sad situation.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Covid is back at sickening thousands daily, many are not making it. We have had friends with it, a dear friend that is like a daughter to us is in the hospital now, she has kidney disease and is high risk. She is doing better and may get to go home soon.

Our daughter is a college professor, son in law is an assistant principle, 13 year old grand daughter in 8th grade, the whole 9th grade got sent home because of Covid cases, 5 year old is in kindergarden, 4 year old in day care, they are ALL exposed daily to the risk of Covid. They are in Odessa, Texas, surrounded by hot spots and shut downs. It is just a matter of time before Odessa shuts down too. We are very worried about them.

Our county is exploding with Covid cases, as are surrounding counties. We have a friend that is a nurse, working the Covid floor(s). This stuff is bad. The medications have at least gotten better, rapid response and treatment gets better results than the previous "go home, if you get worse, come back" of last year.

So....... how's it going for everyone? Hope all are well and suffer no sickness.

Thanksgiving? What are your plans? We were planning on gathering at my sister's house in Conroe, now not so sure. Her husband died this year, she has been in a funk and looking forward to Thanksgiving. She has COPD, polymyocitus and other conditions that make her high risk. Our daughter is afraid to go, with all their exposure, she doesn't want to take Covid to her favorite relative. She is thinking that Christmas might be better, they can all get tested and have time to get the results. Maybe.

It's all up in the air, hard to make plans. We want to get together to solidify family ties, visit and enjoy each other, buuuut........ It is scary, sure don't want to sicken our host and worse, she succumb to Covid and die. Yes, this is real and the reality is not pleasant.

Stephine

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Covid is back at sickening thousands daily, many are not making it. We have had friends with it, a dear friend that is like a daughter to us is in the hospital now, she has kidney disease and is high risk. She is doing better and may get to go home soon.

Our daughter is a college professor, son in law is an assistant principle, 13 year old grand daughter in 8th grade, the whole 9th grade got sent home because of Covid cases, 5 year old is in kindergarden, 4 year old in day care, they are ALL exposed daily to the risk of Covid. They are in Odessa, Texas, surrounded by hot spots and shut downs. It is just a matter of time before Odessa shuts down too. We are very worried about them.

Our county is exploding with Covid cases, as are surrounding counties. We have a friend that is a nurse, working the Covid floor(s). This stuff is bad. The medications have at least gotten better, rapid response and treatment gets better results than the previous "go home, if you get worse, come back" of last year.

So....... how's it going for everyone? Hope all are well and suffer no sickness.

Thanksgiving? What are your plans? We were planning on gathering at my sister's house in Conroe, now not so sure. Her husband died this year, she has been in a funk and looking forward to Thanksgiving. She has COPD, polymyocitus and other conditions that make her high risk. Our daughter is afraid to go, with all their exposure, she doesn't want to take Covid to her favorite relative. She is thinking that Christmas might be better, they can all get tested and have time to get the results. Maybe.

It's all up in the air, hard to make plans. We want to get together to solidify family ties, visit and enjoy each other, buuuut........ It is scary, sure don't want to sicken our host and worse, she succumb to Covid and die. Yes, this is real and the reality is not pleasant.
Oufff. We have been basically sheltering in place since the beginning of March now. Hubby is over 65 and I have hashimoto‘s, which is an autoimmune disease. Oldest back from college doing all work online, younger one doing Junior year in highschool remotely. We don’t even go out to shop, it’s all delivery or curbside pick up. Thank God we have the farm to move around in the open air - I feel so bad for people stuck in apartments in crowded cities... I feel worse for the doctors and nurses...
The more we learn about this illness the more I don’t want anyone to get it. Latest finding was that it affects the brain so much it ages it by about 10 years. And so many mental health issues, in addition to the organ damage.
I think your daughter is right, this year (and hopefully it is just this year!) we should all just stay put. There is no safe get together unless you are all outside, wearing masks and at least 6ft away from each other. Indoors the virus stays suspended in the air for up to 14! hours.
I had a couple of very stressful weeks last month when my brother and his wife got covid back in Germany. I found out from my 82 year old mom, that my brother who was visiting her for the weekend, had left again after about 6hrs there, because he got a call from public health to let him know he had been exposed. Two days before driving up to see our mom he and his wife had spent two hours with their (asymptomatic) neighbors in their apartment, talking about issues with the landlords, while staying more than 6 feet apart. The neighbors now had been diagnosed with covid. I was so mad! Of course it’s not a good idea to share the air with people outside of your household for hours! I have no idea what they were thinking... Anyway, my brother and his wife both got sick (luckily they haven’t needed to be hospitalized and are slowly getting their strength back now), and we got to spend two weeks praying that my mother wouldn’t come down with it, too. Thank the Lord, she didn’t. Luckily it was early enough in my brother’s course of illness that he didn’t spread a high load of virus yet, but it was a close call. Had he visited a day or two later it would have been a different story. Can you imagine the guilt if you exposed a loved one and they got seriously ill or worse? I wouldn’t want anyone to live with that. As Glennon Doyle Melton says: “We can do hard things.“ With the vaccine on the horizon and other promising medications (like a nasal spray virus blocker) being developed, it hopefully won’t be too long.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not long ago I often said that I didn't know anyone who had gotten the virus but that has changed now. We only have 4 neighbors within a mile of us and all 4 of the families have several members who have had it now.

We have a turkey breast that I will be smoking on Thanksgiving and it will just be Teresa and I in our "gathering".

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
My current thoughts as covid cases are rising locally...
what happened to the flu?
And I have heard from medical staff that the quick test is only 40% accurate, the one that takes a day is 60%...
Does this not alarm anyone of the false positives?
We are likely just having my Dad over for Thanksgiving.... hoping my daughter gets her birthday party with family but who knows.... I did score a frozen turkey for less than $6, Kroger had them for .33 a pound... I should have bought another.

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I’m working in Oregon right now. They are going to go into a shutdown starting next week. Living in a hotel is tough with no restaurants open. Drive thru and pick up can be open, but from what I’m hearing, a good portion will just close permanently.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
My current thoughts as covid cases are rising locally...
what happened to the flu?
And I have heard from medical staff that the quicktest is only 40% accurate, the one that takes a day is 60%...
Does this not alarm anyone of the false positives?

Flu is still 'out there,' of course, which is why they've been pushing harder than ever for people to get a flu shot this year. Could you imagine the ghastliness of trying to fight two respiratory infections at the same time? :hide Plus, with a health care system already dealing with a surge of coronavirus patients, anything to reduce the total case load is to the good. Of course, you get influenza the same way as you get Covid -19 (from other people), so the same measures that help to protect you from one (masks, handwashing, keeping your distance, limiting exposure to other people generally) work for the other as well.

The false positives only alarm me in that some non-infected people may wind up self-isolating unnecessarily, possibly missing out on a paycheck they may desperately need. And some people may erroneously assume that since they have already had it, they can forget about protective measures, exposing themselves even more to the possibility of catching it for real (and possibly passing it along to other people, believing that, whatever their symptoms, it can't possibly be Covid -19 . . . which is the risk created by false negatives, too).

Last edited:

Simpleterrier

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'm sorry there is too many lies about this whole thing.

Facts
1. 99.9% recovery rate
2. Every symptom under the sun is covid
3. Getting tested and a true result is 00.1%
4. Family and friends fighting over it all
5. Businesses closing forever
6.muder,drugs, alcohol,and domestic violence up
7.shortage in the stores again

So the economy is bad. We have had the best financial year ever. Everywhere I look there is houses going up, pull barns, additions, poured driveways. There is alot of money being spent on alot of things. You couldnt bye a swimming pool to save your life this summer. The fences I see if love to know how many miles of new woven wire fences I've seen this year most of it 2x4 no climb. There isn't a house on the market for 2 days before they are sold over priced.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
1. 99.9% recovery rate
I believe your fact is incorrect.

I couldn't get the chart to copy so I took a screen shot. Hard to see but in the US as of today this indicates that the fatality rate is 2.3%. That's considerably higher than 00.1 as you suggest.

1605399684224.png

Found a link to another chart that may be easier to read:

Status
Not open for further replies.