Coronavirus Covid-19 Is it Affecting You and How?

Status
Not open for further replies.

River Buffaloes

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Currently in New Delhi, India, originally Bihar
We are so Blessed to have our little farm. We moved here almost 6 years ago from a small city lot. I can't imagine being there now, in lockdown. At least here we can grow a big garden, chickens for eggs and meat, feeder pigs, lambs and at the moment, a steer. Plenty to do to keep us busy and we won't go hungry. We share with neighbors that are less fortunate.

@River Buffaloes is your family able to grow a garden to help with the groceries? I know they have the buffaloes for dairy and I'm sure that helps. Even with growing your own food, you still need money for other things. We can't pay the electric and water bills with eggs or produce. For some silly reason, they want money. There are many items we use and consume that we can't grow, so must have something to pay for them with.

I really hope that things get better for you and your family.

Yes, we do grow vegetables, rice, wheat, oilseeds, pulses, chickens and other poultry and some spices like turmeric, ginger, coriander, Fenugreek, Nigella seeds, fruits like mangoes, bananas, litchi, jackfruit, guava etc. We used to grow sugarcane as well. We don't have to pay rent, electricity is super cheap.

Our main problem is that we get floods every year we have a normal or an average monsoon. This year was the first excess monsoon in twenty-five years. It destroyed 80% of the Kharif crops ( crops that are sown in June-July and harvested in Nov. - December).

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Explains why, a few months ago, TSC had signs at the horse wormer shelves saying " not for human consumption". I never realized it helps with pain. Probably several of us self medicate every time we give to our animals...it will absorb through skin.

@River Buffaloes I'm sorry to hear of your situation. Many people have lost jobs, many companies have had to close up. Extremely troubling. For some of us, as @Baymule has pointed out, the farm has been our resource for our own sustenance and help to others. Working the farm has brought some relief from the depression of the pandemic. We help offset the crop failures by preserving much of our harvest, in some way, to use when things fail to thrive. I'm hoping things will work out for you and family.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
This country and the bias from some of the medical profession is beyond disgusting. Trying any drug off label is a normal thing if the doctor doesn't have any thing else in his "bag of tricks"..... to prohibit the use of something like hydroxychlorquine and z-pac and to not encourage the EARLY INTERVENTION but wait until you are so sick you need the hospital is in it'sself a crime. To not "allow" doctors to try other things, that have a proven track record is showing just what kind of control they want to exert so that people feel like they (gov't sponsored and controlled people) are the "great white hope"...... it goes back to money and control.
Nope, got to be some "new wonder drug" that costs through the ying yang and is not proven..... so someone can make more money on it by capitalizing on the masses fear.
DISGRACEFUL what the drug companies, and the money people behind the researchers and companies that are doing the research, are doing to this country.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, we do grow vegetables, rice, wheat, oilseeds, pulses, chickens and other poultry and some spices like turmeric, ginger, coriander, Fenugreek, Nigella seeds, fruits like mangoes, bananas, litchi, jackfruit, guava etc. We used to grow sugarcane as well. We don't have to pay rent, electricity is super cheap.

Our main problem is that we get floods every year we have a normal or an average monsoon. This year was the first excess monsoon in twenty-five years. It destroyed 80% of the Kharif crops ( crops that are sown in June-July and harvested in Nov. - December).
Is the flood the reason you left home to go to work in New Delhi, so you could help our family?

River Buffaloes

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Currently in New Delhi, India, originally Bihar
Is the flood the reason you left home to go to work in New Delhi, so you could help our family?
No, not really, main reason behind leaving Bihar is that there's nothing much to do there. It's heavily agrarian and it's main export is cheap labour. There's not much income from farming, because everyone is doing that. If you are skilled like I have a university degree in geography, I am trained as cartographer and land surveyor. I also did a five year course in Spanish. There's no prospect of finding a job in Bihar that I can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.