Cost effective pellet alternatives?

GypsyG

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Right now I am feeding my rabbits MannaPro 18%, mixed Grass hay, and black oil sunflower seeds. This last spring and summer I fed lots of cut and carry grass and weeds as well. I also keep them supplied with willow and crabapple sticks.

I am planning on building a fodder growing system in the next couple of weeks. I was wondering what people have been having luck with in their fodder systems?

I was also wondering what some other feed alternatives to pellets other people are using? What do y'all feel are the pros and cons of various pellet alternatives?

I'm also planning for my spring garden, and was wondering what some of the best things to grow in a 10x20 garden for rabbit (and chicken) feed?

megan l kashuba

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I havent been able to fully remove pellets from my rabbits diet but i do use a fodder system. I have used wheat grass, barley, and some sprouts such as sunflower (not such goo dluck with these i'm afraid). They LOVE the wheat fodder but I do have to grow about 2 trays per day. I will say my hay bill has gone down ALOT using fodder. 1 lbs of seed to +10 lbs of live feed is a great help :)