Cost of CAE testing.. Oh man, you guys will love this!

Goatzilla

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
This forum needs an ignore poster button, for use by the "lowly" masses who aren't on the same "level" as the "ultra-mega super smart superior" people.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Contrary to what many folks here seem to believe, people don't ignore forums because they're full of interesting debates. They ignore them and choose to go elsewhere when the atmosphere is stifling and uptight and there's always someone on your a$$ about (gasp) having an ounce of personality.

And if you haven't noticed...there's a fricken ECHO in this place lately. Forums are like sharks...they must constantly move in order to live. If they stop, even briefly, they die.

Y'all can blame me for running people off if you want, but before you do, take a good hard look at the threads that are moving today...ask yourself why you felt compelled to post on this thread and not the others.

Now...if y'all could see fit to stop whining long enough to realize that no-nonsense and I aren't exactly hurting one another's feelings, you might actually find our reciprocated idiocy mildly amusing.

I mean...lawd jebus...somebody's gotta do SOMETHING around here! :barnie

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oh my LOL I was gone for ONE day guys!

... I wasn't saying it's unreasonable, I was saying it was a little insane that a test that would cost $4 only TWO HOURS away from me (I'm 2 hours from the border crossing at Ganonoque) and yet I'm paying $28.

Whats more frustrating is that BC is not the only lab in Canada, there are many labs per province but only one that tests for CAE... Why? I would think that there would be contamination/loss risks with your sample travelling 4 provinces away. :hu

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well the test results came back today, my vet called to tell me...

Both girls are CAE NEGATIVE :D

Thats the good part of the week LOLOL

Mylie is lame on her left hind (swollen ankle, I think she hit it on the fence so I'll just keep an eye on it, she's cooling it in the snow anyway), and my truck is at carstar after I was hit by our rural mail delivery car on Monday. Oh, but Luna is doing great on the Cortaflex pellets!

My poor truck...

truck1.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

KinderKorner

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We are having the same problem.

The vet charges $35 to come out and visit. And $10 per goat to draw.

So that comes to $175 for my 14 goats.

PLUS. He would charge $10-$20 per goat to actually do the test. So we ship the blood to the neighboring states Vet school. They do each one for $5.

We tried drawing on our own this year. We only had to pay 50 cents for each tube.. And some goats it's easy, some it is hard.

There is a vet about an hour away that will come down and draw only for us for $190. But she is an expert in goats. So I think next year we will just suck it up and pay her to come out and do it.

Then still send it to MO vet school. Bringing the total to $260. Plus shipping cost.

Oh and that is only if the vet stays for an hour or less. If she takes longer it's $110 extra. :th

I live in prime farm country. And there is hardly any vets around here that do anything but small pets. Sheeh people. This is livestock area. And no livestock vets.

If you need animal help around here, you find a nice expert breeder. ;) They are so much better at medicine and treatment then the vets.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Sorry to see your truck accident. That looks bad.

I just had my Boer goat tested. The vet charges $32 farm call, $10 blood draw per animal. Then I mailed out the blood. The overnight was $27.50. I had CAE, CL and Johnes done so it was $15 for the testing. That part of it was cheap!

I have one more Nigerian Dwarf to come home and then I will do all the Nigerian Dwarfs. That will add up but at least the overnight mail shouldn't be much more.

I should be getting the test results on Saturday. I'm hoping she is clear of all diseases.

Glad to hear your girls are negative.

Latest posts