Cost of CAE testing.. Oh man, you guys will love this!

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I sent the blood to Pan American Vet Labs in Texas. I'm not sure what they use.

I just looked at their website and they do ELISA. Is that bad?

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Ok...well I only mention WADDL because you can use their FedEx shipping # which saves a ton, testing might be higher, though, and you have to pay an out of state accession fee.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I don't mind paying to make sure I'm getting the right testing done. Pan American Vet Lab was the only one I could find on the internet that did all 3 tests with blood serum. That was why I shipped it there. If there is a better place to send it, would you give me the name and email address? Thanks!

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Great thanks! Now I will have 2 places to send blood.

My vet was going to send it to the state lab until she found out that they only test pus for CL. So there was no sense in sending the blood 2 different places.

Merry Christmas!

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
I would avoid getting in bed with the state labs, anyway...

Also, when you only need CAE, you can use BioTracking...great savings there...only $4 per sample and you can have preg checks at the same time. ;)

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I haven't tested for CL yet, but I'm highly doubting they'd be positive. They were from a closed herd situation, I'll probabaly test in a month or so. Give them a break from th vet LOL. I don't know where tests for it here though, so *shrugs*

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Suprisingly the state lab in Ohio is good. At least they seem to be. When we had the outbreak of Emac (coccidia on steroids) in alpacas, the only place that seemed to get the fecal tests right was the state lab. But then again, the state does know what you have on your farm. :p